How do MAF sensors work

billyo

Track Warrior
Anyone know how a MAF sensor works. It just looks like a little reed with some metal on it. I would have thought youd need a little propellor or something so was surprised when I got mine out.

How do you clean them? Are they really fragile? I though of using a cotton but with CD cleaner but im not sure if it would damage it.

There's 2 types. Older ones used a sprung flap in the air stream, which also had the effect of obstructing the airflow.

Current designs use a heated wire anemometer. The airflow over the heated wire changes it's temperature and therefore its electrical resistance slighty. This is compared to a reference wire which is not in the airstream using a Wheatstone bridge circuit. THerefore the sensor very accurately monitors airflow and automatically compensates for air temperature, barometric pressure variance etc.

what hdi said

cleaning them i use carb cleaning nothing else never use brake cleaner as it drys to quick and never use any thing to touch it

MAF's should go on indefinitely if there are no moving parts. At least, I've never replaced one yet. How much are they for my 2.2 HDi - is it remortgage money?

OK, see what you mean, Yes, there is a plug. The electronic part of the MAF itself is pretty simple though. Sixty odd quid isn't too bad - let's hope that's all Peugeot would dare charge. Probably a Bosch or Delphi part anyway - there can't be too many variations

That's good for us torbo drivers - colder, denser air. All the better to help us slide about all over the place on the greasy roads. Livens up a dull afternoon ;)