Help with a research project

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Had the following email come in and I thought I'd post it up so we can all help out and comment on it.

:i am currently in year 12 and am doing a research project and my questuin is- what is the most effective way to improve the horse power of a car. it would be much appreciated to complete my survey concerning my question.
1. how have horse power modifications changed in this industry in the past 20 years-

2. what is the most effective way to improve the horsepower of a non turbo powered car-

3. what is the most effective way of improving the horsepower of a car fitted with a turbo-

4.what are the disadvantages of modifiying cars to improve horsepower-

5. what is the most effective modification when trying to reduce fuel consumption-
6.what is the most effective modification when trying to increase bottom end power

7. what is the most effective way to improve the top end performance in a car-

I'll tackle the first one, feel free to chip in, at least all the answers will be in one place in future.

In the last 20 years a lot of technical developments have come in. Fuel injection and computer control is the way to go. 20 Years ago most cars used a carb and points to alter the timing.

We also make use of turbochargers a lot more. The drive for efficiency and low fuel usage has also pushed the smelly old clunky diesel into a whole different league.

Processes such as Cryogenic treatments, and systems such as water injection and nitrous are also gaining popularity. Modern engines are also a lot more reliable than they used to be.