Hard work very puzzling

PUGANDY24

Our 306 is being a slug and not pulling well at all, any one got a simple idea as what it may be please.

is there more than one coil pack i could use from maybe a diffrent model ie 407 206 or somthing i am struggling to find the right parts HELP

Last edited:
Hi there pugandy and welcome to TorqueCars. Is power down at certain points in the rev range? Are there any warning lights on the dash? What is the mileage and engine size? When was it last serviced?

Hi ya thanks its a 1.8 16v and 99 (to many) thousand miles on the clock sparks have been done air filter is a new performance air filter oil filter havent got a clue new oil though, we have only owned it for 3 months no service history came with it power loss is at low end of with a slight missfire however when its sitting in idle its ticking over nice at just under 10.000 it seems very slow at accelerating away my next move will be to change coil pack to see if it dose the job?
There is a intermitent orange managment light but i was told it was maybe a mil. An old fault that had been stored in ecu from the passed and not present i should get that confirmed. Thanks for the reply much appriciated...
Andy

I would certainly get that fault code checked out.

A faulty coil would tend to misfire and run lumpy instead of losing power.

I suspect it could be the lambda sensor or the catalyst may have expired. An emissions check will tell you if it is running lean/rich and what the condition of the cat is.

If the new air filter is sucking in warm air from the engine this will be another reason you are down on power.

I presume you mean tickover is under 1000 rpm;)

YES thats what i had was told a sensor as i had it run through diagnostics today and nothing came back he told me they would need to do more indepth scan for a better reading but had no bloody time, he said it most likely was a secsor. Where is it and what should i look for because at the moment i have the cooling fans and radiators and bumber off seems to get easier the more you take apart not so fiddley. thanks for the reply

Check the lambda probe which is located along the exhaust - look for wires connecting to it. Then check the AFM which is between the air filter and the engine, make sure this is clean and get the wires reconected in the right way round. Other sensors are a pain to reach but these 2 are the usual culprits. If the car is not warming up or you are seeing temp drops/rising then you should check the coolant thermostat near the raditator.

Biked six miles to pick up a new radiator, brand spanking new shiny radiator just to find out at the last minute it was leeking from the bottom intake pipe so on we go new pipe if i added up all the money spent in the last 2 weeks on the car id have a heart attack and the real mad bit that puddles me is its still not fixed what has happend ???????????
My misses allways commented on scrap cars that looked in real good nick after today i think she understands why

Thanks for the info on the sensors i will take a look later and see for sighns of damage and wear give em a clean and some tlc not that the bloody car is drivable at the moment any ideas of cheep nippy affordable cars like 1999 to 2000 reg maybe £1500 what about saxo vtr

The Saxo VTR is a real scorcher for its size. The 106 Gti is also worth a look. Have you looked at VTEC civics? The Corsa SRi is also a pretty good little car.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back