Engine Swaps

Massive

Torque Master
Car
Clio 172 Cup
What engine would you dump in your car?

i think relatively sensibly i would put in a something like the new golf rs3, vxr, or maybe a cosworth!

Stupidly, bugatti veyron or audi r8

also just wondering if it is possible to put different make engines into different make cars, i would have thought so, and also could a more powerful engine bend the chasis due to the extra torque? if so how can you prevent this, only askin cos i knew someone who put a v8 in his car, an oldy one and he has to scrap it cos of the extra torque

Well I'm putting a B18C VTEC from an Integra Type R in my Civic. I'm pretty sure some engines can be put in other cars but the work involved is substantial. I saw a mk1 Golf with an Integra engine in it in Max Power...just an example. But you have to remember that it's not just the engine that's needed.

A supercharged VVC would work well in your car Massive.

Realistically I'm please with the 1.8T lump as I can do so much to it.

In the fantasy stakes i'd like a V10 Lamborghini engine in my Audi - they are all part of the VAG group so It might actually work!

what about the extra torque, could that do any damage?

how much would we be lookin at for the vvc, thats the 1.8 isnt it? and obviously a supercharger is gonna be quite a lot :s

Last edited:
The clutch and gearbox are the most likely candidates to suffer from the torque. Getting a Quaife Torsion diff and a Tomcat (turbo) gearbox will probably create a bullet proof setup. You might not get the Tomcat turbo gearbox to fit first time so you might have to cannibilise the internals with a 200 box.

Gotta be a V8 (if it'll fit) for both wanted and fantasy, semi auto paddle box to go with it on the fantasy side :D

realistically new rs6 if i could shoehorn it in. otherwise downgrade slightly to the rs4 engine but the turbocharged version that kosningererhsdfkjh ???? thingy put in theccx

it is possible to put another manufactures engine in a car but its a case of the wiring nowadays. older cars would be easier, those without an ecu.

have heard about a mk4 golf with 200sx engine gearbox fitted for rear wheel drive

a turbo'd H22 in my EG civic :D

yea you can dump different manufactures engines in cars, theres alot of mini's with honda engines, think you need the motor, tranny, gearbox and some of the loom and ECU. with custom mounts.

ive heard of nova's with cav engines in almost snapping in half with the extra power and 205's wit the m16 swaps.

Those M16 swaps are great. A mag took a 205 with an M16 engine and ran it up against modern hot hatches which it thrashed. :)

Those pug1off conversions are mental. Thats so much pwoer - i'm a bit worried that the engine conversions don't include brake upgrades! :eek:

Thanks for hte G-power link - they have done a nice job with that conversion.

An engine swap is actually in the pipeline for me. I can't afford to tune the A series so I'm gonna wack a K series 1.8 VVC in her, hopefully use the PG1 'box if I can get it to fit. Get it out of a derv then I not only have the power but the gear ratio's too. One guy said he's getting between 50-60 mpg in a similar setup which running close to 250 hp/ton. Now that will be fun. Next year hopefully.

Just have to design and build the subframe :sad2:

Dave

Gotta be a V8 (if it'll fit) for both wanted and fantasy, semi auto paddle box to go with it on the fantasy side :D

What car are you driving?!?!?!? An old fiat 500? There is a guy who has done a front wheel drive V8 conversion in a classic mini. If you can fit one in a mini, you can fit one in any car... :lol:

Dave

Especially since he used an austin princess gearbox, can't get many mpg on that. Oh, thats miles per gearbox FYI ;-D

Dave

Pug1Off's own cars are well set up with brake upgrades to match the power on offer. Whether all customer cars are is another question, although I don't envisage Matt allowing a vehicle out of the workshop that is dangerous to use.

Honestly though - TWO engines in a 306? That's gotta be quite something.

The Mini V8 has captured my imagination. :eek: How cool is that?

If I had 2 engines I'd have an economical one on the front wheels for round town and a massive power one in the back for the weekends ;)

http://www.geocities.com/jharkola/Viku2.html

I know I go on about mini's, but I love them. You think 2 engines in a 306 is mad, there are a fair few people who have twin engined mini's. My fave one is someone who put twin Hayabusa 1400 engines in a mini. Think they were 1400 anyway. 240hp, through each axle. Be afraid.... especially since it made it about 500 hp/ton

Dave

Two engines in anything that doesn't fly or run on rails is mad!! I don't like 306's much either. This thing of Pug1Off's is not the most, err, relaxing mode of transport to say the least.

is it legal to have 2 engines running on the road ?

only reason im asking is i remember watch scrapheap challenge a couple of years aro with a, i think defender, fitted with 2 engines. for the road parts between the challenges it was only aloud to run on 1 engine

PG, that's absolutely correct: It's not legal to use two engines on the road.

Pug1Off's 306 runs as a front engine FWD car for road purposes. For the same reasons the NOx system is disabled for road use.

What about Electric hybrids these can potentially have 5 engines - 1 petrol and 4 electric motors? It seems daft that we can't run on roads with 2 engines! Then again we can't use 2 fuels at the same time either!