Engine Oil for Seat Ibiza 1996 1.9D

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
We've had this old car for several years now. It's the 1896cc VW diesel IDI unit. Not turbocharged. So you get an idea of the car's minimal capabilities in performance stakes. Virtually NIL. But we still want to keep it as it's in supremely good condition and is a handy second car.

It's always been filled with 10w/40 semi synthetic oil at service time.

No engine problems at all, apart from an occasional squeal from the belt that drives the power steering pump

It's due an oil change. I have six litres of AMSOIL DEO 5w/40 here which was destined for the 406 which was, sadly, written of in June 2009.

Should I fill the Seat with this stuff, or should I stick with the semi-synthetic formulation it's been using up until now?

sunflower-oil.jpg

I can bung that in the fuel tank and it'll go quite happily on it.

This is an old technology diesel engine.

In fact, since the slightly more relaxed legislation on alternative fuels, I have done so.

There's no point now, however, as a litre of cooking oil matches forecourt fuel, penny for penny.

The Amsoil will be fine if you want to use it . Amsoil make good quality oils and it will give better cold start protection being a 5w-40.

Cheers

Tim

I know that the lower viscosity when cold is a benefit. I'm just a little wary of the high detergent qualities of fully synthetic polyolester oils and their possible incompatibility with blended oils.

Perhaps I should flush it first?

Then again, the engine has no problems with sludge (oil cap off it's squeaky clean).

I'm really just looking to use up the AMSOIL I have here. It was originally destined for the 2.2 HDi which, in 190bhp tune, really did demand high quality oil.

Thanks again

Rgds,

P.

Last edited:
There is no incompatibility between mineral, semi and fully synthetic oils. They mix without issue. They only problem is, the better quality oil is diluted by the others.

No need to flush if it's running clean and healthy.

Cheers

Tim

That seems to be my answer then, and thanks very much.

Might as well get the AMSOIL used up - it's over spec for the Seat but I have no other use for the stuff.