Drying off

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What method of drying off do you prefer?
  1. Chamois leather
  2. Synthetic Chamois leather
  3. Microfibre cloth
  4. Silicone blade
  5. Other cloth
Or do you just go for a spin and let the car drip dry?

Micofibre cloth followed by Chamois leather!
Curious one this! Saw an advert on the net yesterday (cannot remember where exactly :embarrest:) But you wash the car as normal then before you rinse it off, you connect this inline ionising gizmo onto the hose, spray rinse the car as usual then leave the car to dry and it was guaranteed to leave no streaks! :amazed:

Anyone come across this gadget before?

Chamois leather - No, nothing to trap any remaining dirt and not soft enough. Will scratch the car.

Synthetic Chamois leather - Same as above.

Microfibre cloth - Not a bad choice.

Silicone blade - HELL NO! You might as well dry it with 60 grit.

Other cloth - This is what you want. Use a proper dedicated soft drying towel of a decent size and you will be able to dry a whole medium sized car with it without drying it out or switching cloths.

Being old-school, ignorant, uninformed, or just plain cheap, (take your pick) :D :D :Di use lint to take off the excess water, let it dry till its almost dry, and then polish it with the same old school wax.

We get this wonderful silicon wax polish here, a generic product, which works great. Its a compound of wax and silicon and comes as a liquid, and is less of an effort in applying, especially since it takes care of the streaks, and the end result is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Last edited:
I normally leave it to air dry then polish the water marks off of it with Autoglym Super Resin polish (shameless plug :lol:) and a microfibre cloth

but with a new road being built about half a mile away there is so much dust in the air it's hardly worth washing the damn thing anyway

Chamois leather - No, nothing to trap any remaining dirt and not soft enough. Will scratch the car.

Synthetic Chamois leather - Same as above.

Microfibre cloth - Not a bad choice.

Silicone blade - HELL NO! You might as well dry it with 60 grit.

Other cloth - This is what you want. Use a proper dedicated soft drying towel of a decent size and you will be able to dry a whole medium sized car with it without drying it out or switching cloths.

ditto as above. ive got a couple of drying towels. one does the whole car

T9 the gadget you saw was probably a fitler of some sort. if you use de mineralised water then you dont get streaks

I used to use a Chamois leather - but recently tried a drying towel - never looked back - great piece of kit :bigsmile:

I used to use a Chamois leather - but recently tried a drying towel - never looked back - great piece of kit :bigsmile:

I don't doubt your observations here dagger, but what's the attraction of a chamois leather then do you think :confused:
I have never seen a car wash company finishing my baby off with a drying towel! there must be a good reason for that, no idea what it is though :embarrest:

I think that the chamois leather was the better at the time - before the towel method came out - but i did find that it did leave the odd streak or 2, so wasn't fully happy with the results anyway tbh.

chamois last longer how many cars do you think they do before they are washed ? by big towels can dry the car once but thats it theyre in the wash and dried off. chamois you could use all day and just wring them out after each car

and T9 your obviously not letting good enough car washers near your baby if they are using the chamois :)
ohh and they streak like mad,

T9 your obviously not letting good enough car washers near your baby if they are using the chamois :)
ohh and they streak like mad,

Your perfectly correct there PG, I am struggling to find even a good local detailer. All of the hand car washers that I have tried within a 10 mile radius of my home use the chamois :sad2:

Your perfectly correct there PG, I am struggling to find even a good local detailer. All of the hand car washers that I have tried within a 10 mile radius of my home use the chamois :sad2:

But do they use a sponge to wash it or one of those wipey silicone blade things? Worst offenders for self-inflicted paint damage.

It's a shame you don't live near me, or I near you. Even though I'm not in the habit of detailing cars for money I have done a few and I would detail yours at half what a Pro would charge and do just as good a job, treat the Beast like my own :amuse:

mmm MA your maybe onto something there.

5 hrs travel each way, hotel for the night
2 days
and a blast in the beast

think i could clean it up for you for a couple hundred if you cover my oil and hotel costs T9 :)

thoses silicone blades are lethal, i got one and used it once and the scratch it left took ages to get rid off

And stopping at the nicest hotel in London of course haha. I think weather permitting and when days get lighter just body paint can be done in a full day if it's not too bad.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back