Driver speed nag systems

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There is talk about adding a "your speeding" nag system to cars. Everytime you exceed your GPS locations speed limit it will "remind you" of the limit in force.

Some factions want an automatic speed limiter that work along these lines.

Both are unlikely to be more that retrofit options but new cars could well come with one of these systems.

Is this a waste of time or will this work? Do you think this idea will catch on?

Personally I think it might be a good idea as long as we don'g get so obsessed with speed alone and disregard all other factors.

I would resent being nagged for hitting 80mph transiently whilst passing an HGV. Not that it's very likely in the Seat I'm curently using!

only problem with the nag would be the if/when you change the head unit then the nags gone.
suppose a warning when you hit a predefined limit then it shuts off.
limiting the speed is going to be dangerous - was there not talk about fitting this to motorbikes. didnt get very far with it

It's as bit like the lane change inhibitors. Ok the driver can override the artificial stiffness in the steering but if you REALLY need to make a panic move do you want the PAS making hard to do so? i'd prefer to assume control and override the lane control system if the situation was such that swift moves were really necessary,.

Reader's Digest took a look at such systems a few years ago.

The nag systems weren't really well recieved, but the two other systems were.

The first allowed you to pass the speed limit, but then gradually forced you to slow down by making the accelerator stiffer, the second simply prevented you exceeding the limit in the first place.

Both were well recieved by those using them (as they never got speeding tickets), and the preliminary indications were a 25% reduction in fatalities (which isn't to be sniffed at either).

my mums sat nav does the same sort of thing as soon as it knows your speeding it pings at you so on are last hoilday first time i have used it got on my nerves so left the thing in the caravan the next day and used my sat nav lol

i know when i am speeding i dont need a pong to tell me as well

just another method for big brother to control the masses, GPS already tracks exactly where you are so the govt can keep an eye on you, conspiracy theory over - the taxis in singapore all have this, they start pinging as soon as they exceed the speed limit, last time i was their i told the guy to slow down as it was so annoying, if it had been my own car i would have thrown it out of the window as soon as it started being annoying.

If it just beeped once I guess it is ok, but repeated beeping would drive me nuts. Especially if Im trying to go with the flow of traffic.

for me they are kinda like an alarm clock or some other noise like the tic-toc of a granfather clock. after so long you would get used to them and ignore them. Alot of the taxies in asia/malaysia have them and after a little bit you tend to forget about them. the initial ding grabs your attention until your brain realizes what the ding is then discards it. I think the limiting would be better but still give you the option to overide it if you want.

I can't think of anything worse.

As I'm not a retard I am capable of discerning when I am speeding, or when I am, or am not, wearing a seatbelt, or reversing my car, or if it's cold outside.

I detest these systems, especially the cold weather bong on my Bora, particularly when it's just around 4 degrees and you go in and out of a cold area and it's constantly bonging.

#!#!#!#! OFF!!! I KNOW IT'S COLD!!!!:mad:

nah mines only bonged at those 2 for the 1st time. ie if it dropped to 4 it would bong but the temp could go up and down as long as it didnt get to -5 it never went again. trying to find if you can switch it off in the convenience controls

Does yours have the full height clocks? I've only got half height, I had to get someone to reprogram them to give me miles to empty, couldn't do it by VAGCOM either.

nah just half hight. was looking at full hight ones. know you need vag tacho to do alot of the stuff with the clocks.

dam i thought it might have been programmable in the convenience module in vagcom

Mines worst when the seat belts aren't used. Thats a pain when I'm marshalling and i'm driving round the paddock cause I don't use the belts when I'm on circuit.