Budget Car Care.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
We are always talking about cheap performance so I thought we should have a crack at cheap car care.

So what is the best cheapest things to do/buy for someone on a budget?
Does a spanking paint job mean spending mega money on equipment/products?

Discuss.

for really cheap car care stuff:

MORRISONS

obviously dont do the best products in the world, but good enough for a decent wash & wax

Nothing involving my baby is ever cheap, even the local car wash has gone up 50 pence :sad2: I shall be following this thread with great interest ;)

getting sparkling paint yes does take alot of effort and isnt really obtainable on the cheap

if its in good condition however

Buckets - B&Q £1 each get 2 or 3, 1 for clean, 1 rinse and one for the wheels

Shampoo - what ever you fancy, lets be dear and say £5 a bottle

wash mitt - £7 halfords

wheel brush - old non stick scouring sponge, make sure its an old used one, also a pasty brush. £1 for a pack of 3 in most supermarkets and the brush is a £1

wheel cleaner - think its asda or morrisions do it for £1, not exactly the greatest. but if your wheels are looked after then shouldnt need much

clay - bilt hamber, £11 for a huge block

polish - autogym srp £12 a bottle

wax - colinite 476 or finish kare 1000p both around £15 and 2 of the most durable LSPs around, 1000p can also be used on the wheels and brakes.

extras

All purpose cleaner - daisy APC from tescos, £1 or so
spray bottles - £0.80 from homebase
microfibre cloths - £11 from costco for 36 - not suitible for drying the car but great for interiors and windows and applying removing the polish if your gentle with them

£69 for all that

clay will last you near forever i use around 25g a car and its a 200g block so even 4 times a year then thats 2 years.
srp youd probably get a year outa bottle applying it once a month if your sensible (srp is full of fillers and has very little cut even on a machine so by hand its going to be next to nowt so no real need to worry about going through paint )

the 2 waxs ive put up, less is alot better with them 2 very thin coats and your looking up to 6 months or protection - remember polishing will remove the wax.
i got a panel pot of 1000p and it lasted me a year. my full size tin i can get a 4 inch applicator pad in the top, this will probably out last the car :)

cloths can be washed using fairy liquid to remove the grease, oil and waxes

getting sparkling paint yes does take alot of effort and isnt really obtainable on the cheap

if its in good condition however

Buckets - B&Q £1 each get 2 or 3, 1 for clean, 1 rinse and one for the wheels

Shampoo - what ever you fancy, lets be dear and say £5 a bottle

wash mitt - £7 halfords

wheel brush - old non stick scouring sponge, make sure its an old used one, also a pasty brush. £1 for a pack of 3 in most supermarkets and the brush is a £1

wheel cleaner - think its asda or morrisions do it for £1, not exactly the greatest. but if your wheels are looked after then shouldnt need much

clay - bilt hamber, £11 for a huge block

polish - autogym srp £12 a bottle

wax - colinite 476 or finish kare 1000p both around £15 and 2 of the most durable LSPs around, 1000p can also be used on the wheels and brakes.

extras

All purpose cleaner - daisy APC from tescos, £1 or so
spray bottles - £0.80 from homebase
microfibre cloths - £11 from costco for 36 - not suitible for drying the car but great for interiors and windows and applying removing the polish if your gentle with them

£69 for all that

clay will last you near forever i use around 25g a car and its a 200g block so even 4 times a year then thats 2 years.
srp youd probably get a year outa bottle applying it once a month if your sensible (srp is full of fillers and has very little cut even on a machine so by hand its going to be next to nowt so no real need to worry about going through paint )

the 2 waxs ive put up, less is alot better with them 2 very thin coats and your looking up to 6 months or protection - remember polishing will remove the wax.
i got a panel pot of 1000p and it lasted me a year. my full size tin i can get a 4 inch applicator pad in the top, this will probably out last the car :)

cloths can be washed using fairy liquid to remove the grease, oil and waxes

Now that's a nice list :D