Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by pgarner, 18 February 2009.

1. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Still have my "L" plates on wile under instruction with the "growing up " part :lol:

2. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Picked up the pair of PDMs from my parents yesterday (had them delivered to them as I was in the States at the time). As they only control up to six circuits I had to get two.

[​IMG]

3. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Shock, horror! I am going to buy something that I could make!

Decided to buy a pair of seat brackets rather than spend hours making them. However, they may be subjected to a weight reduction programme :)

[​IMG]

4. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    That's a very nice looking seat bracket as it is, weight reduction? You have no shame Steve :)

5. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    There is plenty of space left to drill many more weight reducing holes ;)

6. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    10mm is also a bit thick :)

7. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    And your point is?

8. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Ruining a lovely looking piece of engineering with more holes :)
    Well as you say, it all adds up.

9. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Update. The £46 they were charging was only for the flat plates (dark bits) !!! £46 for two pieces of plate with a few holes drilled in them? I think not.

Instead I have ordered a pair of OMP brackets. Cost is £70, but to buy the aluminium would cost around £35 plus a few hours cutting and drilling. Sometimes time is more important than money.

10. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    The glove box door (behind which will be the battery, fuses and ECU) is finally finished. First attempt went tits up when it lifted very slightly from the bed. Second attempt came out all right, just needs a little polishing to remove some faint tool marks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

obi_waynne and claymore like this.
  11. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
  12. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    Very nice work OG! You'll be finished soon ;)

13. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Depends on your definition of soon :)

14. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    A quick check using double sided tape confirmed that glove box lid fits OK.

[​IMG]

I now have a box full of spare titanium bolts, not sure how this happened. I know that I bought the bolts to hold the body to the chassis (14) and am now using only 4 due to body mods, but that doesn't explain the others. Oh, well, I am sure I will find a use for them before the car is running :)

[​IMG]

A rough idea of what I will be removing from the seat brackets.

[​IMG]

15. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Pro Tuner

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    The pursuit of lightness continues :)

16. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Of course :)

17. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Not a lot happening at the moment. Trimming up floor support (removed 100gms :) ), just needs a little more fettling to tidy it up. Decided to add a top of screen support. TIG welding is still crap but nothing that a grinder can't fix :) I will leave the important welding to someone who knows what they are doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Finished seat brackets today. You may be thinking, why have I painted them? Paint has a weight, but it also disguises the many imperfections and shoddy finish [​IMG]:) They will be mostly hidden so I decided not to spend too much time on them. A total of 740gms removed. Not the 1Kg I was looking for but decided that stiffness was more important than lightness in this situation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Anyone who has built a car will appreciate that it's the little jobs that take up a lot of the time.

Two-part structural epoxy and 3 layers of carbon fibre should hold the blind nuts to the home made seat that is now relegated to the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

Trimming seat bracket support. These need to be as low as possible as I am somewhat lacking in headroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Getting ready for Monday, when my welder is coming round to do a few jobs. Made passenger seat brackets today so another tick on the endless list. Total weight of seats and brackets is 5.4Kg. Fixing bolts are temporary until titanium ones arrive [​IMG]:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Martin from MJS Fabrications came over and finished off the parts of the roll cage that we couldn't get to originally due to the floor and sills being in the way. Also added a bar between the rear uprights, stiffening wedges in the top wishbones to compensate for the sections I took out to clear the damper pushrods and the driver's seat bracket supports. I can now crack on as the floors, which were holding up the installation of the dash and rear panels, can be installed.

[​IMG]

22. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Nice one Steve |B

23. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Gluing in passenger floor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roll cage has certainly improved the chassis stiffness. One leg of the lift isn't doing anything!

[​IMG]

24. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Glued in rear panels this afternoon. Access to rear suspension is pretty good. Panels are, of course, made from 2 layers of carbon fibre :) The centre panel will be removable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started to think about the front firewall/bulkhead. I had planned to place it on the dash side of the crossbar, but this doesn't leave enough room for the battery so it will have to go the exhaust side. I will just have to add additional heat shielding. It will be made from, as the rear panels, 2 layers of carbon fibre.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Tyres...bloody tyres, still trying to work out the best combination. I thought I had finally cracked it after years of searching with the Michelin TB5s. However, the size options for 15" rims are restricted and the smallest size for the front is a little high on the aspect ratio (50) than I would like, the 225mm width option is only 5mm smaller in diameter than the 285 rears I planned to use.

[​IMG]

Pirelli do a P7 Corsa Classic in 305/35 and 235/45 with diameters within 1mm so similar difference but they come in three softness grades. What I can't find out are the Mu values so I can compare 'stickiness'. One of my main tasks at the NEC in January is to discuss this problem with both Pirelli and Michelin to see if I can resolve my (potentially expensive) dilemma as the tyre size dictates wheel width as this has to match the footprint width in order to wring out the maximum grip (bloody idiot tyre stretchers please note!)

[​IMG]