306 DT top end problems

jarrus

Pro Tuner
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
hi

Since my car was serviced my car has lost all it's guts at the top end of the rev band

was serviced by a place called nationwide auto centres

sice taking it there the power drops off earlyer than it did before and it 'Coughs' a bit when reving it past 3200rpm ~

i have a 1.9DT which has done very lows mile about 40500 miles

i have had it modded hoping it would get rid of the problem but not different (max fuelling up'd and boost compesator and wastegate arm on the turbo shorten from 14 psi to 18psi)

this mod was done after this problem but has improved it slightly but it's not back to how it was power drops of at about 3750 rpm used to drop off at just after 4000 rpm

if anyone on here is familer with this problem and this engine please don't hesitate to reply

thanks for all your help

Brett

if it had been a newer car i would have said MAF may be dirty but as its an older one does it have 1 ? i wouldnt have thought so but dont have experiance with pugs.

does it have an EGR valve if so get that off and clean it out. its common for these to get heavily blocked up with carbon deposits.

have you had the boost pressure checked ?

My car doesn't have a MAF sensor when i had the tune done on it i had the EGR valve disconnected so it's alwasy closed and no exhasut **** gets back into the engine

and i haven't had the boost pressure checked but i know it ihas more because the trubo wines more than it used to...

not sure weather it's the injectors

would have thoiught the injectors would cause issues all the wa through the rev range and not just top end. but that might explain the cough. what about the fuel pump ?

Fuel pressure regulators could cause this. On a diagnostic see if it starts running lean at the top end. My guess would be the fuelling. Unplug and reconnect all the fuelling related cables just to be on the safe side.

When things suddenly stop working like that it is usually down to something being knocked or broken.

Fuel pressure regulators could cause this. On a diagnostic see if it starts running lean at the top end. My guess would be the fuelling. Unplug and reconnect all the fuelling related cables just to be on the safe side.

When things suddenly stop working like that it is usually down to something being knocked or broken.

thanks for your suggestion

not sure though if it has many cables though...

my enigne doesn't have an ECU at all the injector timing is run from the timing belt of the engine...I do think it could be the injector or a feul regulator problem it's not running lean (it's smoke like a french....)
but i guess it now has only the same power though th erest of the rev band as before timing belt is fitted correct as i renewed it resently jsut done about 1000 miles on it and i checked it several times to make sure i got it right

sorted now...
lol

I wasn't actually getting full throttle all i had to do was move a clip...

now i can rev to 5000k rpm and get 120mph...lol

Phew - that turned out to be a cheap repair. I bet a garage would have charged for a lot more than moving a clip.

Phew - that turned out to be a cheap repair. I bet a garage would have charged for a lot more than moving a clip.

yeah lol...

I figured it out while reading a magazine i bought while on holiday...the magzine had bought an old pickup truck with the old style injection system like mine and they had the same problem and they said that they were increasing the rev limit and i thought that was the problem...it wasn't but i managed to broaden the rev band as well...lol...

120mph not bad for a crusty old diesel...lol..if i could get it to 5k in 5th then according to some boffins i know on another website they reckon it will do 130mph!...jsut doesn't have the torque that far up the rev badn afterall it is a diesel....

but can be easily delt with though...lol

piper does a cam so you can rev to 6.5k and make useable power up there...!!!

and thanks to all for your suggestions...at least i know a group of people who will help me :)

Hi all
this sound very much like the problem im having, iv got 1.9 td 1996 n reg.
my turbo kicks in at about 2000 rpm and is out of puff just before 3000. this is the first diesel iv owned and the first 306 iv driven, thought i was jus a v-slow car lol.

jarrus464 could you give some info on how you sorted yours? any pics or jus info in lame-mans terms please mate would be very grateful.

Hi Berg8 and welcome. Have you looked into a remap? Are the power figures where they should be? Does it smoke much when you drive it hard?

Hi all
this sound very much like the problem im having, iv got 1.9 td 1996 n reg.
my turbo kicks in at about 2000 rpm and is out of puff just before 3000. this is the first diesel iv owned and the first 306 iv driven, thought i was jus a v-slow car lol.

jarrus464 could you give some info on how you sorted yours? any pics or jus info in lame-mans terms please mate would be very grateful.

hey there dude....

right then i'm not sure why o you make any useable power after 3k because as far as i'm aware the torque curve is flat after 2250k and is like till 4000 rpm give or take....

how many miles has it done?, has it been properly manintained and has it been modded at all?

If i can know all that I can help you!

I love these cars and there so much potencial to be unlocked from them....from just getting your toolbox out

not to mention they are an ideal canidate for using veg oil/bio diesel

get in touch with me my e-mail addy is jarrus464@gmail.com or if you have MSN messenger the use brett.wilkins@neon-lite.co.uk

Hi Berg8 and welcome. Have you looked into a remap? Are the power figures where they should be? Does it smoke much when you drive it hard?

dude old peugeot xud type engines can't be re-mapped....they got no ecu...or if they do it's the same one that the ancient egyptions were using...

its a get your allen keys and spanners out jobby....instead of your laptop

120mph not bad for a crusty old diesel...lol..if i could get it to 5k in 5th then according to some boffins i know on another website they reckon it will do 130mph!...jsut doesn't have the torque that far up the rev badn afterall it is a diesel....

Probably doesn't have the brakes for it either!¬

Probably doesn't have the brakes for it either!¬

theres ways of doing it and everything...

a nice free flow exhaust would help that out....

since i've tunined mine up i've noticed that mine has lots of back pressure (it's like my car is blowing though a straw....) but it all depends of weather you can live with some extra noise...but i guess you got your primera to do all that...lol...

but I love diesels so i think you pug deserves it...!!