15 Hours In The Saddle, Dieppe To Nice Flying Solo 1.6 Mk2 MX5 manual

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Hi all, with no plans at all, an £800 "S reg mk2 1.6" and a boot full of camping gear, clothes etc i took off.

Salisbury to Newhaven for the ferry, 100 miles or your regular English misery, on to the ferry for the night crossing to Dieppe,

I arrived at Dieppe and disembarked the Ferry at 5am (Jonathon Foreigner Time).

My plan was to make Lyon and do the rest of the journey the following day however one hipcup, (Sat nav took me through Paris at 8.20 am on Tuesday morning) I eventually made it to Lyon in the afternoon, Hey!!! I'll try to make Nice today, Man it was hard going as I wasn't looking after myself, only stopping for fuel and the regular obligatory "Dobble espresso with Sucre" eventually not far from Marseille I stopped for fuel yet again and really didn't feel too good, Peeing foam (Those cheap energy drinks from lidle were to blame me thinks)

I stopped for a good while, drank a lot of water and purchased 3 lovely apples, ate the apples and headed off feeling great. not as great as I felt when I saw the sign , Provence /Cote 'd'Azur, Now it all made sense and was worth it, I made Nice around 8pm, 700 miles 15 hours averaging 81mph (130kmh) hovering around the 4000rpm mark in fith, The car didn't miss a beat, pulled when it needed to despite the weight in the back, I have to say I stuck to the toll roads, A6/A7 I believe. superb, at one time I had four lanes to myself with no other car in site, a bottle of rum was drank to celebrate whilst I struggled to put up a tent, 5 days in Nice (no driving) then time to return, Sunday mid day up the A7 to Lyon and across towards Clermont Ferrand, I awoke near a huge Dam in the Liore valley in a beautiful old village, the usual double espresso and off, this time to Chablis to visit an old friend, finally the next day back in the saddle for Dieppe, I wanted to cus the sat-nav but TBH those Parisian tunnels are great with the hood down, again all was good, just the torture of another 100 miles in Blighty, total miles door to door 1760 (700 in one day) Regrets, none except i'd have liked A/C , very much so, 40c seemed to be the norm hot with the hood up or down, My advice, Don't make any plans, Don't worry and just do it.

Thank's all auvoir

Thats so cool, the roads are amazing down there, so smooth and the scenery is stunning.

It was, only England is horrific to drive in. I love driving when abroad. I originally bought a 911 for the trip but tbh the mx5 was a much better choice. I wish i were still touring now.
Apart from lorry driver and drug smuggler what job involves driving around Europe ?