Zwaf's Seat Ibiza mk4

As promised here are pictures of my not very much tuned Ibiza.

One month ago it was like this:

28062011118.jpg

Then I instaled this:

23062011115.jpg

That is Koni sport schocks and Platimex -40mm springs. Very pleased with it. If someone would like to read it I could make some kind of review after some more miles.

After instaling it looked like this:

26082011131w.jpg

Looks like wheel spacers would do justice for visual apearance?

Yes! It would:

04092011133.jpg

And one picture of work place:
04092011136.jpg

P.S. How come I can not make all pics big like those two in a midle? Can someone help with sugestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would scout eBay for a second hand one tbh. It'll be far easier than making something fit. Although it can be done. How easily depends on the measurements of both the car and the brace.

No problem to find good ofer on e-bay.
Then we ad shiping and in some cases it is still good ofer. Then my legislators go marching in and ofer of 40 quids became to me ofer of 40 quids + 30 quids postage + 10% on sumed item price and postage + 23% on sumed item price, tax and postage + unknown amount of payment to unknown spedition company....

In that point of view original Seatsport brace is cheap! :lol:

My dad has a PD100 golf, i might get it mapped for him, 130bhp is about right for a simple "stage 1" map on these.

Hi Padge! If that was an question about remap i can recomend maping. 130 PS is easily achievable with our engines and in 8000 miles since mine was remaped nothing goes wrong. My maper saiz that those engines could be made up to 150-160 PS when full stock, but he also recomends decat and better flow air filter in such case. Course when you put biger HP numbers into full stock car you must be aware that your turbo is working on uper limit of SOA, but with just 130 HP everything should be just fine.

A little update and thoughts from me. :)

Sometimes my Ibiza make an noice like "Squeek" coming from front left corner. Not often, but when crossing over deep inregularities on road surface. After checking everything out and concluding nothing is wrong I thought maybe my ARB is now in different position after lowering and the ARB bushing was accomodated for previous position somehow.
So today she gets new droplinks from Ford Puma and new ARB bushing. Droplinks are about an inch shorter then original Ibiza ones. Got picture on cell phone, but somewhere i lost my cable. Maybe upload tomorow.
Other thing was behaviour of rear end. When driving slow or at certain speed at certain roads rear end becomes a little bouncy. Not much. It seems that some of my passengers can not feel it despite I point them what to expect. Others had clearly noticed that as "To stiff rear end". Well, I did not think it is to stiff, just bouncy.
After several adjustment of rear rebound (Koni yellow and platimex -40mm, remember? :) ), today I checked bumpstops. On both you can see very slight signs of wear, but so slight i was no sure is it from my dirty hands or real hiting marks. No chufings whatsoever.
Decided to shorten the bumpstops for about 15 mm.
Now settings is rear full hard and front about half turn from full hard and the ride is - GOOD! Better than ever before! It is not bouncy, it is not kind of hardness where your kidney stones shred to sand, but it is FIRM! It is just like I think it should be for active road driving.
After T9's poly thread I think poly bushes could do some more justice for steering responce. Now it is first time I can feel that steering is (a little) slower than chassis reaction.
Will see! ;)
Hope this can be usefull as Koni review for those interested.

And almost forget, have made carriers for front strut brace. One of these days will be some bendings and weldings. :) Some say strut brace can help with steering sharpness. Another review coming soon...in forum near you! :lol:

Last edited:
you might need different ARB drop links for the front, not new ones after market ones to account for the lowered suspension

So today she gets new droplinks from Ford Puma and new ARB bushing. Droplinks are about an inch shorter then original Ibiza ones.

They are different. Those droplinks are for Ford Puma and they are about one inch shorter.

We need pictures!

Yes sir! ;)

You can see new one is shorter then original. Haven't meassured it but difference is maybe even more then just one inch. So far I'm satisfied. Today I did one circle around "county" and all is real good. At least for me. No squicking, no bouncing. Car is just laying on the road and she follow the irregularities real good. No excesive leaning in curves and controled behaviour during mass transitions.
About steering, pretty satisfying once it is into the curve, good feedback (got Cupra bushes! ;) ), but can feel a little "empty" around first one inch of steering. It steers, but the feedback in first 2 cm of steering wheel is not so clear as it could be. Hope some bushings and Strut bracing can make it more sharp. Friends telling that it is to sharp for them already, but i guess i steer with more smothness then they are. (At least I'm humble! Hahaha! :lol: )

Grease the suspension joints, these can dry out, especially after a thorough washing.

Once a year I do that! Good recomendation. Even put some new grease under all ruber cups - got no idea what is the english word for that parts. :lol:

Last edited:
Been working on my DIY Strut brace. Here's the bar holders - the parts that goes above the struts.

strut3.th.jpg
strut8.th.jpg
strut7.th.jpg
strut6.th.jpg
strut5.th.jpg
strut4.th.jpg
strut2.th.jpg
strut1t.th.jpg

Because manufacturer put's the solenoid block right above strut on passenger side (in UK that would be an drivers side!) I needed to pull out the strut holders a bit further out towards the front of the car.

It is not welded yet. Just used some kind of blue tack to hold the small parts in place for taking pictures. Within next week i plan to finish it and make an install. When finished the strut brace will be sprayed in black.

Your thoughts and sugestions are welcomed!

EDIT: Still don't know how to put full size pictures....

Last edited:
It is one big piece which is bended and then it's meanted to weld suport against flexing. That support is made of those small parts that I "bluetacked" them just for picture purpose. Hope you understand my explanation.

Will read that tutorial. Finally!:embarrest:

It is one big piece which is bended and then it's meanted to weld suport against flexing. That support is made of those small parts that I "bluetacked" them just for picture purpose. Hope you understand my explanation.

Will read that tutorial. Finally!:embarrest:

In the pictures it looks like 2 pieces. Is that one for each side?

Yea! It is one for each side. Pictures got mixed - top row pic No 1 and second row pics 2, 3 and 4 are passenger side (or in UK driver's side). Other pics shows another piece for driver's side (in UK passenger side).

Will see how strong it is. Will be using strut bar from Golf mk2 and mine DIY strut holders. Comparing with pictures of seatsport strut brace my version is pretty paranoid regarding supports. Material is 5 mm Inox and got much more flexing suport altough in some diff arangement.
Testing during drive can not be maid before snow goes away.

Last afternoon was pretty bussy! ;)
We got small problems with welding machine and the weldings is not out of exemplary quality regarding visual presence, but sure is satisfactory regarding strenght.

That yellow liquid in plastic tank is white vine.... It was poored right out of barrel. Croatians like beer, but like vine more. ;)

Last edited:
Here it is on the car:

Unfortunatly I can not report any review regarding strut. Here's still snowy conditions and after that I will get another set of wheels and tyres. Including numeruos changes of rebound settings in last few months i think i can not have any firm comparing parameters. So my next report regarding handling would be review of summed mods taken.
Hopefully even in that way someone could get initial information about behaviour of hatchback moded in similar way.

Next will be front lower strut brace and rear upper one. If someone got any picture of rear upper one on which I can see connecting points I will be gratefull.

Last edited:
I find it amazing how much work goes into tuning European cars. Here in the US, most people won't even think of tuning a car unless they can get all the parts they want from a catalog. Even my Saturn has catalogs I can order from. My Monte Carlo however is very limited in this respect. Aftermarket didn't like that V6. lol. Just about every other V6 offered in it has aftermarket support. Odd cuz mine has the highest factory power ratings.... Sometimes I think the aftermarket is retarded.

Great looking Seat by the way. We don't get those here. Closest we get are VW Golfs and Jetta's.... which do have the catalog thing going for them. Truthfully, I've never worked on a diesel. Diesel cars aren't very popular here. They're just now starting to gain popularity.

Last edited:
.....Odd cuz mine has the highest factory power ratings.... Sometimes I think the aftermarket is retarded.

Here you can often find oposite situation - Europeans like to tune most powerfull unit. Guess the reason is believeing how those engines is made out of best materials for more power.
We got pretty much aftermarket kits for PD130, PD150 and PD160, but less for PD100 and not to mention there is no tuning hardware offers for 3-cilynder engines.
But, Seat have ready to fit strut brace for my car. I just find it to expensive here in Croatia and now after I made it must admit that I feel proud of making something.

Great looking Seat by the way. We don't get those here. Closest we get are VW Golfs and Jetta's.... which do have the catalog thing going for them.

Thanks for the compliment!
Don't know if you got VW Polo in the US. Ibiza are egsact the same car as Polo but under another brand name. There are two more egsact same cars as Ibiza and Polo here in Europe: Audi A2 and Skoda Fabia.

Truthfully, I've never worked on a diesel. Diesel cars aren't very popular here. They're just now starting to gain popularity.

I know the fact the Americans don't like diesel cars. Think it is because of low gas prices compared with rest of the world. Even now, after fuel prices jumped several times in US in last few years, Americans got lower fuel prices. However, with situation of higher fuel pricing it is expectable to see gain of interests for cheaper "mile per gallon". Especially if you can get good power out of diesel engines.

Here you can often find oposite situation - Europeans like to tune most powerfull unit. Guess the reason is believeing how those engines is made out of best materials for more power.
We got pretty much aftermarket kits for PD130, PD150 and PD160, but less for PD100 and not to mention there is no tuning hardware offers for 3-cilynder engines.
But, Seat have ready to fit strut brace for my car. I just find it to expensive here in Croatia and now after I made it must admit that I feel proud of making something.
That's what usually happens here. In my case, the aftermarket went after the less powerful OHV engines because they were easier to work on. To get to the alternator on my DOHC V6, for example, you have to frop the subframe, and book time labels replacing an alternator as a 8 hour job.

Thanks for the compliment!
Don't know if you got VW Polo in the US. Ibiza are egsact the same car as Polo but under another brand name. There are two more egsact same cars as Ibiza and Polo here in Europe: Audi A2 and Skoda Fabia.
Nope. We don't get the Polo. There's talk of bringing it here, but nothing official.

I know the fact the Americans don't like diesel cars. Think it is because of low gas prices compared with rest of the world. Even now, after fuel prices jumped several times in US in last few years, Americans got lower fuel prices. However, with situation of higher fuel pricing it is expectable to see gain of interests for cheaper "mile per gallon". Especially if you can get good power out of diesel engines.
Everyone else around me gets flustered when gas prices rise 15 cents. I roll my eyes and say "You should see the prices in Europe". I don't complain. My Saturn averages 25 MPG city, and 35 highway. My Monte Carlo averaged 16 mpg city, and 26 highway.

bugger europe its cheap over there lol try uk prices

for small american gallons (3.8ltrs) of the cheap stuff its around $7.50 and another dollar for the good stuff
16mpg i remember those days lol my prelude managed around 12 when cold

bugger europe its cheap over there lol try uk prices

for small american gallons (3.8ltrs) of the cheap stuff its around $7.50 and another dollar for the good stuff
16mpg i remember those days lol my prelude managed around 12 when cold
LMAO! My Monte Carlo would get 16 mpg absolutely everywhere regardless of time of year. And that has a 3.4L high output V6. I've NEVER heard of a Prelude getting such low MPGs and yes, we have those here. Gas around here is about $3.73 per gallon. There's predictions that it'll jump to over $5 per gallon here this year.
Sorry if that came off as snooty. My father used to have a Ford Ranger that did 8 MPG no matter the season as well. 2 more cylinders and 2.3L larger and his Chevrolet Silverado is still doing better at 10 MPG.

Last edited:
The strut brace looks good mate. Time for a test I think. :)

Indeed! :lol:
If everything will be allright next week will buy Federal 595RS-R tyres for summer wheels and than will just wait when daytime temperatures rise above 10 deg C for first propper driving. Here in my climate it will be around mid march.
For now i am satisfied with response with winter tyres. Not sure if strut made some gain 'cause in this conditions can not push real hard. But think i got somewhat heavier steering in mid of the corners and that is good due the better feel on my fingers when steering. But not sure is it placebo.
Anyway, I am (not sure is next expression good one :lol:) one happy camper! Hahaha! If I wrotte something stupid feel free to lough. Not stupid, just not an native english speaker. :lol:

Indeed! :lol:
If everything will be allright next week will buy Federal 595RS-R tyres for summer wheels and than will just wait when daytime temperatures rise above 10 deg C for first propper driving. Here in my climate it will be around mid march.
For now i am satisfied with response with winter tyres. Not sure if strut made some gain 'cause in this conditions can not push real hard. But think i got somewhat heavier steering in mid of the corners and that is good due the better feel on my fingers when steering. But not sure is it placebo.
Anyway, I am (not sure is next expression good one :lol:) one happy camper! Hahaha! If I wrotte something stupid feel free to lough. Not stupid, just not an native english speaker. :lol:

The strut brace will also support and offer some extra strength as well reduce flex. It may not be a massive difference but if you add up all the little things it'll soon come into play. Piece of mind is always a good thing too.

Haha! One happy camper is the correct expression. Although be careful how you use it as 'camp' can also mean 'gay'. Also 'vine' is actually 'wine'.

Haha! One happy camper is the correct expression. Although be careful how you use it as 'camp' can also mean 'gay'. Also 'vine' is actually 'wine'.

Thank's mate! I have looked at the dictionary and "gay" was translated as (now i need to find another word because translator translated it into croatian hahaha) "cheerfull" or something like this. So, i'm kinda cheerfull or gay indeed about strutbrace actually. :lol::lol:
Just playing with words here. For me it is selfunderstandable, but who knows what I actually did say. Hehehe :lol::lol:

Thank's about vine-wine difference. Will remember it!

Friends of mine had guest from Italy and they teach him to make a tost with word "ševili". In original expression it is "živjeli" and it means "To life". That is how we often make an tost while drinking. Words are similar and Italian guy continued to tosting with "ševili" everytime and that always provoke a tone of laughter by audience. They never told him that "Ševili" means "To shag"! :lol:
Now I'm in his role so I understand how it can become funny!

Last edited:
Thank's mate! I have looked at the dictionary and "gay" was translated as (now i need to find another word because translator translated it into croatian hahaha) "cheerfull" or something like this. So, i'm kinda cheerfull or gay indeed about strutbrace actually. :lol::lol:
Just playing with words here. For me it is selfunderstandable, but who knows what I actually did say. Hehehe :lol::lol:

Thank's about vine-wine difference. Will remember it!

:lol:

Gay, once upon time did mean happy. Think of it as old-English. Then it became the word it is now!

Yesterday fitted summer wheels. Unfortunatly with old F1 tyres. I must wait a month or two before buying new set of summer tyres.
Dayly temperature here yesterday was 14 deg C, and today it is about 10 deg C because of rain that have fall before noon.
Tyres need qiute some heating before they can give any confidence for driving. First 15-20 minutes they even spin in third gear and i got no 200 HP to justify such behaviour. :)
Anyway after I managed to put some heat into rubber they become somewhat better and I made first test laps on local B roads.
It was not too fast but fast enough to make observation about changes.
With strut brace added steering become noticable better and with more feedback trough steering wheel. However, initial first inch of steering is still slightly mushy. I do think it is better then before, but still not in par with rest off steering radius. Maybe it's just placebo effect. Must get those poly bushes. ;)
Understeer is clearly reduced. Not sure how much because i did'nt push to hard, but for sure understeer is reduced.
Now i can hear noises comming from rear seats. Think it is product of flexing. I imagine it is possible that flexing forces are more pronounced at rear end after front end become more rigid.
Hopefully within few days I will buy rear strut brace from other forum member here in my neighbourhood.

Well, if someone is hesitating about bracing the car this is my testimony about it and i'm very satisfyed.
You see, for every change i try to make report about behaviour. I know how much effort i took to find some propper information and not just "good" or "no good" explanations without putting a reason why is something good or not good and no feedback after instalation.

Last edited:
Good review mate. I would add a rear brace to keep the balance.

Thank you. In few days i will have a look for one rear strut brace out off one really nice Ibiza Cupra from Bosnia. Owner got sub in trunk and got no more room for it. If everything went good i'll buy it.

Also curious about front lower and rear lower. Have seen real nice ones from Ultra Racing. Will see the prices and if too much will make them at home. Just need to see them. ;)

Last edited:
Good stuff mate, Im liking the homemade strut brace and good review of it, if you are expiriencing a bit of slack in the steering check your bushings around the front suspension starting with track rod ends, then ball joints then control arm bushes,

Ps homemade is the best way :) I should know most of my 306 is home made....

Good stuff mate, Im liking the homemade strut brace and good review of it, if you are expiriencing a bit of slack in the steering check your bushings around the front suspension starting with track rod ends, then ball joints then control arm bushes,

Ps homemade is the best way :) I should know most of my 306 is home made....

Thank you, mate! Apreciate!
There is real good feeling when you make something as good as industrial and for the fraction of price. Isn't it? ;)

About front suspension - everything is new! All rubber parts, and ball joints and bushes and all other things i don't know english name for it.
I got instaled Cupra rear bushing (front suspension, but those toward cabine) and it helped a lot comparing with soft regular bushes.
I am sure after i got polys the steering will be even better than now. (especially after making front lower strut brace)
I'm not dissatisfied with steering. If someone a year ago took a car from me and returned it in this shape i wouldn't complain at all. I just see what is what now and i think i can make further improvements.
After I close the story about tuning my Ibiza i am sure i will never look at cars the same way as i have looked before.
I will become a man who knows to much. Hehehe!

Thank you. In few days i will have a look for one rear strut brace out off one really nice Ibiza Cupra from Bosnia. Owner got sub in trunk and got no more room for it. If everything went good i'll buy it.

Also curious about front lower and rear lower. Have seen real nice ones from Ultra Racing. Will see the prices and if too much will make them at home. Just need to see them. ;)

Sounds good. How can he choose a sub over a strut brace?!

Sounds good. How can he choose a sub over a strut brace?!

Psssst! :mrgreen:

;)

EDIT: Just realised how we probably got diff sounds when trying to say: "keep your voice down".
We say "pssssst", but in english it could be "shhhh" or something simmilar?

Last edited: