Zebra crossing rules

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In the UK the way I see it is that cars MUST give way to anyone using a zebra crossing. I've heard people say this only applies if they put their foot on it:confused: (This seems a bit dangerous to me!)

In other countries the rules seem quite different. In France it would appear that they only designate areas which you may cross if it is clear to do so.

What other Zebra (Black and White marked non light controlled pedestrian) crossing rules from other countries do you know about?

well as far as im aware the are supposed to stop if their is a pedestrian waiting as pedestrians have right of way never heard of the 1 foot rule

as for abroad pretty much everywhere i have been i europe the cars have right of way and dont try crossing until 1 stops or you get a round of fcuks or worse

well as far as im aware the are supposed to stop if their is a pedestrian waiting as pedestrians have right of way never heard of the 1 foot rule

Correct, pedestrians have right of way, but only once they are actually crossing (hence the one foot on crossing convention, not actually a rule). You do not have to stop for someone merely standing next to a crossing. However, as we are all pedestrians as well as drivers, it is common sense and curtesy to stop when someone is waiting.

Highway Code 19 reads:

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

All a zebra crossing does is create a formalised point where:

Pedestrians are invited to cross at a high profile section of road.
Motorists should be aware pedestrians are more likely to cross.

Admittedly there's a little more to it than that - the zigzags ensure parking and overtaking are prohibited so that pedestrians and motorists are able to see each other more easily.

Another mixed message from British Motoring Law. Clearly if the pedestrian steps 1mm outside of the designated crossing area we are perfectly entitled, perhaps even duty bound, to mow 'em down.

"the zigzags ensure parking and overtaking are prohibited so that pedestrians and motorists are able to see each other more easily."

In an ideal world, yes, but a lot of drivers seem oblivious to everything

Talking of oversees crossings, most european countries I have been through seem to have rules akin to Russian Roulette... until I went to Germany: Walking off the night before I sauntered up to a junction (on foot) and before I'd even got to the kerb cars on both this road and the main road it joined had stopped to give way to me! I was so stunned I nearly stopped in my tracks :embarrest:

On the same trip, I was walking around town, came to a traffic light controlled perdestrian crossing and cound't understand why there were about 20 people waiting to cross when the road was clear for seveal hundred yards in both directions. They looked absolutely stunned when I crossed the road whilst the lights showed priority to the (empty) road. At least the Germans follow their traffic laws...

Another mixed message from British Motoring Law. Clearly if the pedestrian steps 1mm outside of the designated crossing area we are perfectly entitled, perhaps even duty bound, to mow 'em down.

Zebra crossings are there to make crossing the road easier for pededstrians, perhaps specifically vulnerable pedestrians.

Pedestrians always have the right of way on British roads, whether there is a controlled crossing (zebra/pelican/puffin/toucan/pegasus/signalised junction) or none. That's why highway authorities sometimes go to great lengths with pedestrian barriers and subways et al to prevent "less lucid" pedestrians from walking into the road where the average motorist's interest is elsewhere - like negotiating a complicated junction, or they are simply not expecting pedestrians to be in the road there - like the middle of an A road or motorway.

"the zigzags ensure parking and overtaking are prohibited so that pedestrians and motorists are able to see each other more easily."

In an ideal world, yes, but a lot of drivers seem oblivious to everything

With a bit of luck they will kill themselves, but usually they take innocent people with them, or worse take out innocent people but survive.

I think there should be a driving test every five years! Well, maybe not but there should certainly be something to ensure that motorists are not losing their way.

My car needs to be checked its roadworthy every year - shouldn't I be checked for roadworthyness?

I agree with a need for formailsed retesting and skills training updates for drivers! Perhaps an advanced course every 5 years should be made compulsory.

From an insurance point of view if a pedestrian jumps out and gets hit by a car it is regarded as the car drivers fault:eek: This is the way the road traffic act is interpreted and is based on:-
1) Pedestrians having right of way!
2) The assumption that no one is stupid enough to endanger their own life.

"it seems people lose the ability to use their common sense when on foot an behind the wheel!!"

It seems some people lose their sense of humour when posting on forums such as this.

With a bit of luck they will kill themselves, but usually they take innocent people with them, or worse take out innocent people but survive.

I think there should be a driving test every five years! Well, maybe not but there should certainly be something to ensure that motorists are not losing their way.

My car needs to be checked its roadworthy every year - shouldn't I be checked for roadworthyness?
come to think about it,your absoulutly right,peoples minds snap just like that

I agree with a need for formailsed retesting and skills training updates for drivers! Perhaps an advanced course every 5 years should be made compulsory.

From an insurance point of view if a pedestrian jumps out and gets hit by a car it is regarded as the car drivers fault:eek: This is the way the road traffic act is interpreted and is based on:-
1) Pedestrians having right of way!
2) The assumption that no one is stupid enough to endanger their own life.
assumption is the mother of all feck ups
for everything else theres master card,,,,buy a plane ticket to cuba and f;;k them all

its complete horse crap though,if we were all mind readers,life would be sorted..i mean,how are you suppost to know a man is thinking and singing[just a perfect day] before he takes a dive in front of your car???

if i ran a country id allow for the driver to reverse [if he didnt succeed]and do it properly..suicide is selfish in my eyes but when you bring other people,especially when you dont know them in to the mess,its horrible
s;;t like that can really f;;k wiyh peoples minds
if you think about it,it can start a viscous circle,the driver of that car could end up doing the same,,,IT HAPPENES its a mad mad world