Zastava Yugo 101 owner looking for tuning tips.

charger69

Pro Tuner
Car
Opel Corsa B X14XE
my car has a very bad reputation. it costed me 500 euros. stock performances are ridiciolous: 20 sec 0-100 km/h; top speed 150 km/h; no other comments needed.
with the mods i made now it can go like: 15 sec 0-100km/h and top speed 170 km/h.
I'm thinking of an engine transplantation.
1.6 Gti nissan sunny engine with 6 gear manual transmission.
or any other bigger 1.8 GTI engine?
the good thing is:
very light chasis - 600 kg
imagine how lighter it'll be when i'll add fiber glass hood, and other panels.
so what do you suggest me, for more performace? all i acre si performance.
if you need infos about my car, search for zastava 101........

Re: my cars low reputation

yeah engine transplant sounds like your best bet. What would be worring to me is youve said the cars very light as well 600kgs. to me this sounds like the chasis might have a problem with the power and torque of the larger engine causing the body to twist itself. this means it would require a lot of strengthening to the chasis itself. so the weight gained by using fiberglass is going to be lost.

Youll also need to beef up the suspension (more weight) and brakes (yip you guessed it lots more weight)

yeah, i know that. at the engine space in the front, i am thinking of adding some extra engine keepers (dunno how you call them in english) so it'll be strong enough to hold any bigger torque. that would cost me 200 euros.
about more weight, i'd rather put more aerodynamics instead of weight

Hi Charger and Welcome - we know these cars as the Yugo. A made had one back when we were 17 the low weight and small wheel base made for good handling. There is not a lot of space in the engine bay - will the 1.6 actually fit?

Have you looked at the turbo charged Lancia engines - they are smaller and may well make better donors.

i've seen some cars like these having 1.6 l engines. actually i know 2 of them, they're friends of mine. to make an 1.6 engine fit, they needed some extra mods on the engine bay. as for the 1.4 there are many cars that had engines like that. as i was thinking bigger, i was thinking about some more mods under the engine bay.
some guys who have 1.4 they used fiat turbocharged engines.
but old fiat engines don't sound good, most of them have 8 valves on 4 cylinders which sucks on performace.

It'll probably break down as well! :lol: If you are reluctant to add weight, why not remove it?

break down? well it'll still remain ugly as hell, serbians never did anything good, even the cars, luckily the italians gave them engines so they made something. so me, as a guy who has low budget, i'm trying to do something, like putting on it some japanese engine. the chasis is ugly, but can handle more than the japanese plastic chasis. the good thing here is: low weight and a chasis that can handle.

wouldnt advise cutting the springs. better to get lower springs that have been made to take the weight of the car over the shorter difference.

Or if your going to cut the springs get them retensioned

I'll second that - the springs have been designed for a set tension. When you cut the spring you are putting extra stress on it and it will usually snap. If the maker decides you need 4 coils to carry the weight of the car and you cut away one then you are asking 3 coils to do the work for the weight of the car. The spring rate will also be negatively changed.

That remark about Serbian people was completely uncalled for, but it's your call I can't say it offends me a lot (me being Serbian) coming from a Macedonian. But all that aside, there is a variety of things you can do to that 101, when it comes to engine swap, your best choice would be one of the Lancia engines, for example the 1.6 would fit knob to knob. Also numerous Fiat engines fit good too. Though when you do the engine swap, i'd suggest reenforcing the chasis even though Lancia engines don't have a bad history in Zastavas. With that new engine, offcourse, you need to do some more work on the suspension and what not. Hope you figure it out and make a slingshot out of it!

That remark about Serbian people was completely uncalled for, but it's your call I can't say it offends me a lot (me being Serbian) coming from a Macedonian. But all that aside, there is a variety of things you can do to that 101, when it comes to engine swap, your best choice would be one of the Lancia engines, for example the 1.6 would fit knob to knob. Also numerous Fiat engines fit good too. Though when you do the engine swap, i'd suggest reenforcing the chasis even though Lancia engines don't have a bad history in Zastavas. With that new engine, offcourse, you need to do some more work on the suspension and what not. Hope you figure it out and make a slingshot out of it!

i wont be the one if i go for a lancia engine. i was thinking about customizing it more , there's a nissan sunny GTi-R engine 1.6 l front wheel drive which i think should be cool with a 6 gear manual transmission and a lighter clutch.
by the way, nothing personal,

Last edited by a moderator:
Why 1.6gti sunny?he got maybe 110hp,maybe 120hp...to do that,you'll need a lot of modification...Therefore,i recommend a Fiat/lancia motors...SOHC,of DOHC,its your choise...Why,that,you ask?because,with little modifications,you have 1.6 Sohc/Dohc motor with stock 90/105hp...then you just have to upgraded it..and with that tuning will cost less then nissan sunny engine and everything else what comes with that engine...About transmission,you can put Fiat Sporting 6 gear transmission,if you like...About that modifications of Fiat/Lancia motor...just I can say it in horsepower numbers...120 or 180hp,with little modifications :blink1:

I used to have a Yugo 45 when I was a student. It got me around. Of course I dreamed of the heady power of a 55.

That said, it's basically a Fiat so I'd be looking at Fiat engines from that era.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back