Your tips for staying alert whilst driving

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What tips can you pass on to help you stay alert whilst driving?

I think we've all struggled on those late night long motorway drives so what are your tips for staying alert and sharp at the wheel.

Coffee is the best choice for me lots and lots of really strong coffee. Energy drinks and sugary snacks don't really help me stay alert.

I guess avoiding heavy meals will also help stave off the lethargy.

I've just drove from dieppe to nice. 13 hours. Company, water, caffeine,speed and music.
81 mph....perfect

i guess just enjoy your drive and don't hurry and keep a safe distance. i keep alert by keeping myself occupied judging distance, speed and skill of the other drivers i am dealing with

On a long drive I get the co-pilot to give me quizzes. We are both fans of quizzes so she finds a subject we both like (sci-fi for example), downloads a quiz onto her phone and quizzes me :)

However, after I spent 8 years driving for a living, including overnight shifts, the best advice I can give if you are feeling tired is to find somewhere safe to park and take a nap. I've seen first hand what happens when a tired, sleepy, driver ploughs into a central reservation at 70 mph. He car was wrecked and he was lucky to get out in one piece.