Your thoughts on stanced cars, are they safe

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts and opinions on STANCED cars?

They seem to be gaining popularity and the extreme camber angles employed surely affect tyre wear, durability, control and car safety.

Some are stupidly low and seem to be unsprung the way they ride over small bumps.
IMO more than say 1-1.5 deg neg camber is pointless on a road car as there will be more tyre wear that can be slowed/evened out IF they are reversed on the wheels after say every 5000 miles or so depending on how it has been driven.

What are your thoughts and opinions on STANCED cars?

They seem to be gaining popularity and the extreme camber angles employed surely affect tyre wear, durability, control and car safety.

We can't be asked to account for clinical brain-dead-ism. Car makers are stupid, we all know this of course. They have no knowledge at all about handling and ride.

Let's face it, keeping tyre tread in contact with the road surface is not especially important or anything like that.

Last edited:
To mess with the suspension geometry is sheer folly. The extreme cambers just look plain silly to me. It's the same with stretched tyres, I don't know why they do it but they all seem to be at it.

I have my suspension including modified struts,springs and suspension settings by a suspension guru after it was corner weighted taken into consideration were the type of tyres and intended use = track days.

Like anything , if it is done correctly it will be as safe or even more so than stock . I have lowered my front end 3" by using drop spindles and added 6 degrees caster to it . My camber is exactly in specs . Over the winter I am going to raise the rear suspension into the chassis which will actually lower the chassis height by 3" to improve my traction , right now I am running wheelie bars and afterward I will no longer need them . I drag race my street car if I have confused anyone.

Good points mike, sadly few people know how to do this properly! It sounds like you have a lot of fun in your car!

Even done properly they are downright hazardous IMO! When you go outside of tolerances you are just asking for trouble.

I just don't get stanced cars, or see the point. It just looks like the axle has collapsed and something is about to fall off.