Your thoughts on Kit cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Whilst there are many different types of kit car around today I just wondered what you thought of them. This thread was inspired by the responses to the replicas thread.

I personally like kit cars. I prefer those that are engineered to be a car in their own right rather than a plastic version of an existing car.

The DAX Kamala is a personal fave. The whole car was engineered to be a fun and fast track day car and offers a 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds with the right Cosworth engine and MTX gearbox.

Kit cars do seem to age and paint fades/cracks and this can look truly awful. Also the build quality comes into play on the same model for example, a well made kit car is great and an ameteur build can look really rough. The two will also drive differently.

Who do you think kit cars are aimed at? The budget concious motorist? The enthusiast or the track day racer?

I reckon they are aimed at people who played with lego and mechano when in childhood...:lol::lol: I'd have a Kit Car but it would prob spend most of it's time in bits with me cleaning things an such. I do this alot with my Revo it's always in bits lol :D:D:D

Whilst there are many different types of kit car around today I just wondered what you thought of them. This thread was inspired by the responses to the replicas thread.

I personally like kit cars. I prefer those that are engineered to be a car in their own right rather than a plastic version of an existing car.

The DAX Kamala is a personal fave. The whole car was engineered to be a fun and fast track day car and offers a 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds with the right Cosworth engine and MTX gearbox.

Kit cars do seem to age and paint fades/cracks and this can look truly awful. Also the build quality comes into play on the same model for example, a well made kit car is great and an ameteur build can look really rough. The two will also drive differently.

Who do you think kit cars are aimed at? The budget concious motorist? The enthusiast or the track day racer?

I take issue with the amateur jibe. You shouldn't equate amateur with shoddy workmanship, shame on you :) Most of us on here are amateurs when it comes to playing with our cars.

As for professionals, just because they get paid for it doesn't necessarily guarantee good workmanship (see thread on trusting garages).

Look closely at the paint on almost all new, mass produced, professionally built vehicles. It is sh*t (usually has an orange peel appearance) compared to what can be achieved by a dedicated and skilled amateur.

It matters not a jot whether a car is built by a professional or amateur, it is the skill and dedication of the individual that counts.

Phew, feel much better now :)

Last edited:
Thats true mate it doesn't matter if your a big international company or just someone doing it in the shed it's the dedication that takes over and makes it a good build and alot of thought and hard work from yourself also helps. But I think there are some ameteurs out there that could biuld a good quality kit car..:D:D:D

Look closely at the paint on almost all new, mass produced, professionally built vehicles. It is sh*t (usually has an orange peal appearance) compared to what can be achieved by a dedicated and skilled amateur.

I remember looking through some old magazines and one of them had a review of the "new" Austin Allegro and they were complaining about "orange peel" paint finish. A lot of new cars have this now, even £100,000 Mercedes!

I take issue with the amateur jibe. You shouldn't equate amateur with shoddy workmanship, shame on you :) Most of us on here are amateurs when it comes to playing with our cars.

As for professionals, just because they get paid for it doesn't necessarily guarantee good workmanship (see thread on trusting garages).

Look closely at the paint on almost all new, mass produced, professionally built vehicles. It is sh*t (usually has an orange peel appearance) compared to what can be achieved by a dedicated and skilled amateur.

It matters not a jot whether a car is built by a professional or amateur, it is the skill and dedication of the individual that counts.

Phew, feel much better now :)

I should perhaps have used the word BODGER instead. I was just thinking of some of the disastrous builds I have seen where the panel gaps are almost as big as your thumb and the paint looks like rollered on emulsion:eek:. Skill is everything and I concede the point! ;) I shall use the word amateur in a more professional way in future.

A kit car is only as good as the person that built it. A poor kit car is one that is probably seen as an unfinished project!

"I'll build a car, how hard can it be? I can hang a door and replace a tap washer" famous last words!

I have pondered this thought a few times and have decided I would rather jump in it and drive it rather than wait a couple of years!