Your thoughts on headlight styles

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on the following styles?

Audi LED running lights.
Lexus clear lights
Angel Eyes
Projector lenses

Do you think these will end up getting a bit boring and passé or do they look right on certain cars?

I've never really considered the things to be a styling detail.

Most cars have clear lenses now - the 406 had polycarbonate ones, supposedly to resist stone chips but they do tend to scratch instead.

Clear lenses transmit far more light to the road than fresnel lenses do.

What are your thoughts on the following styles?

Audi LED running lights.
Lexus clear lights
Angel Eyes
Projector lenses

Do you think these will end up getting a bit boring and passé or do they look right on certain cars?
DLR - look good on the audis but alot of the impressionist ones look really tacky.
lexus light - over done, way overdone
angel / projector/ morette depends on the car. some look alright others look really bad

the lexus lights look gd on some cars but look crap on others and its the same for any type of headlight style. for me i dont see any piont in headlight styles. the headlights are there to serve a perpose, not to look pretty.

the lexus lights look gd on some cars but look crap on others and its the same for any type of headlight style. for me i dont see any piont in headlight styles. the headlights are there to serve a perpose, not to look pretty.

They may have a purpose but nowadays you can make standard lights shine brighter and look better all in one. Whats so bad about that?

I'm not a fan of the 1.2 Corsa abuse! My corsa was black, with a shorter silver aerial, light blue sidelights ONLY offering a tinge of blue, an exhaust trim and furry dice.

Not all are to be condemned to chavdom! I matured into a responsible driver, and i receive my degree (with honours) in biomedical science next year! :blink1:

Oh, and i never wore a cap whilst driving. Ever.

All I want for christmas is an HiD conversion. The stock lights on my A3 are pants!! They'll be changing shortly after the new year. I reckon I'll be going for black angel eyes, thet are sweet!!

All I want for christmas is an HiD conversion. The stock lights on my A3 are pants!! They'll be changing shortly after the new year. I reckon I'll be going for black angel eyes, thet are sweet!!

I agree - the A3 lights are crap. VAG has a habit of doing this with some models.

Get the dual enclosure ones with a separate H7 for dip and main beam. They're much better as each reflector is optimized for its own job.

Sadly, HiD conversions are unlawful in the UK for road use.

I agree - the A3 lights are crap. VAG has a habit of doing this with some models.

Get the dual enclosure ones with a separate H7 for dip and main beam. They're much better as each reflector is optimized for its own job.

Sadly, HiD conversions are unlawful in the UK for road use.

Gutted, I didn't know they were illegal :( I gotta do something cuz the stock ones are proper naff!

have a look into getting OEM HIds but expect a premuim for it.

think for the bora im looking around £7-800 for oems but they are rare as hens teeth even on german ebay (LHD) so not much use even then

If you do get the OEM system you will also need the complete light housings (HiD headlights are optically different to those designed for incandescent lamps); you must have a washer system and the beams must be self-levelling, whether by virtue of self levelling rear suspension or by the cruder automatic beam levelling.

You might still have to get VoSA to perform a one off inspection and type approval for your car, which is not cheap.

Your insurers will also need to be notified and they might decide to increase your premium.

I got a set of EK9 lights, and some 8k HIDs for about £400 I think, all brand spanking new! HIDs are definitely the best mod you can do with your lights!

the A3 washer system is easy to add,
units themselves have the self leveling on the bases and its a sensor under the rear bumper that adjusts them.

Prince was that the retrofit kits ?

Did the EK9s come with Hids them ?
£400 for brand new sounds like new halogen headlights and a retrofit kit.
to give you an idea
HID left hand enclosure - no bulb or ballast is £464.13
Real H2 Xenon discharge lamp (keep Hdi happy) £149
Auto adjustment plate, goes on bottom on encloure - £283
and the ballast is £99

so your talking a grand a side if i was to buy direct from VW