Your thoughts on campervans

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think about campervans? Are they practical for say a week away or are they only really good for an overnight?

Have you ever driven or owned one? Any tips or pointers to pass on?

i like campervans and they are practical if you can live without a few of lifes little luxurys
the wifes aunt and uncle are prime examples of this they bought a camper a few years ago and they basically load it up and go off for months at a time touring europe
the only real downside they have is their home has been broken into twice a year for the last few years :sad2:

gosh
i had an old commer camper van many moons ago.
tank like thing.
i used to load my classic bike in the back and go to weekend shows.
was great.
would do 70 happily.
sleep 4
Commercampervan1975.jpg

From a practical point of view they must be a real menace on holiday.

Look at it this wasy.

Sunday morning - 8am. You want to go into the local village or town for a paper, milk, whatever.

You can't because you have to stow away everything to drive it.

And when you get back to the site your spot has been taken by another camper.

From a practical point of view they must be a real menace on holiday.

Look at it this wasy.

Sunday morning - 8am. You want to go into the local village or town for a paper, milk, whatever.

You can't because you have to stow away everything to drive it.

And when you get back to the site your spot has been taken by another camper.
i suppose this would depend on the camper the mrs uncles is a transporter with cooker and bed/seat and table built in the vehicle so they dont need to unload and load it everytime they pull up the only facilities they need is a parking space hot and cold running water and a toilet (even though they do have 1 for those emergency stops;))

if you plan to stay at one site all the holiday get a caravan or hire a static van.
we only ever stayed in one place overnight.
make the beds and drive off, laybys were great for overnighting.

I have allways had vw's. I think everyone should own a camper some time during thier life. Not for the stuck up types though

What you need HDi is one of these :bigsmile:

perfg3.jpg

It's made by Volkner & I love it!​

I always fancied buying Landrover 130 & decking the back out flat so I could lay out sleeping bags, have lots of storage underneath the deck for kit like stoves etc, fit a diesel cab heater, some decent ventilation and tour Britain during the motorsport season taking in everything from rallying to F1. It's nice to dream...sighs whistfully:lol:

I saw a program on those being made, they've got a proper purpose made chassis, it's not just a converted coach/lorry platform, the engine sits lower & every fink, a lovely nice piece of kit. :bigsmile:

well if you are going to travel do it in style lol
ii would love one of them would even live in it has more room then my house lol

I had one when the kids were small. Only good for short breaks. Pain having to stow everything when going out. Guess it's fine if towing a small car or bikes. I prefer a caravan myself, pitch up and go touring in the tow car.