Your thoughts on campervans

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think about campervans? Are they practical for say a week away or are they only really good for an overnight?

Have you ever driven or owned one? Any tips or pointers to pass on?

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
i like campervans and they are practical if you can live without a few of lifes little luxurys
the wifes aunt and uncle are prime examples of this they bought a camper a few years ago and they basically load it up and go off for months at a time touring europe
the only real downside they have is their home has been broken into twice a year for the last few years :sad2:

coupe

Torque Master
Car
toyota mr2 mk1.
gosh
i had an old commer camper van many moons ago.
tank like thing.
i used to load my classic bike in the back and go to weekend shows.
was great.
would do 70 happily.
sleep 4

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
From a practical point of view they must be a real menace on holiday.

Look at it this wasy.

Sunday morning - 8am. You want to go into the local village or town for a paper, milk, whatever.

You can't because you have to stow away everything to drive it.

And when you get back to the site your spot has been taken by another camper.

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
From a practical point of view they must be a real menace on holiday.

Look at it this wasy.

Sunday morning - 8am. You want to go into the local village or town for a paper, milk, whatever.

You can't because you have to stow away everything to drive it.

And when you get back to the site your spot has been taken by another camper.
i suppose this would depend on the camper the mrs uncles is a transporter with cooker and bed/seat and table built in the vehicle so they dont need to unload and load it everytime they pull up the only facilities they need is a parking space hot and cold running water and a toilet (even though they do have 1 for those emergency stops;))

coupe

Torque Master
Car
toyota mr2 mk1.
if you plan to stay at one site all the holiday get a caravan or hire a static van.
we only ever stayed in one place overnight.
make the beds and drive off, laybys were great for overnighting.

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I have allways had vw's. I think everyone should own a camper some time during thier life. Not for the stuck up types though

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
What you need HDi is one of these :bigsmile:

It's made by Volkner & I love it!​

I always fancied buying Landrover 130 & decking the back out flat so I could lay out sleeping bags, have lots of storage underneath the deck for kit like stoves etc, fit a diesel cab heater, some decent ventilation and tour Britain during the motorsport season taking in everything from rallying to F1. It's nice to dream...sighs whistfully:lol:

lutonmatt

The Torque Meister
Car
82 trans am kitt

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
I saw a program on those being made, they've got a proper purpose made chassis, it's not just a converted coach/lorry platform, the engine sits lower & every fink, a lovely nice piece of kit. :bigsmile:

stamford

Pro Tuner
Car
MG ZS200
I had one when the kids were small. Only good for short breaks. Pain having to stow everything when going out. Guess it's fine if towing a small car or bikes. I prefer a caravan myself, pitch up and go touring in the tow car.