your seriously underrated cars thoughts?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
What cars do you believe are seriously underrated?, I'll kick off with......
Nissan Primera eGT,GT and Sport+
Volvo turbo's
Any manual PUG 205

i think people get a massive shock when i blow them away in my volvo, not really come up against anything on the road that has kept up to be honest not with 353lb ft torque and 311bhp @1.3 bar boost can run at 1.5 bar if i wanted. midrange acceleration is awesome on these motors 60-100 in 6 secs

same with a stagea although the average bod thinks they are volvos anyway

there is something about having a big estate in q mode

I dont want to start a "fight" but if you cant find anything faster than 311bhp (regardless of torque) you havnt been looking much

Id say that applies to RS4s as well

(lights touchpaper and retires discretely )

Anything with that sort of power is a supercar and there isn't many of them on the road when you are, and even if you saw a proper motor usually they ain't interested in having a play anyway, I mentioned torque first as it has loads look up an rs4's torque figures, my car is only a 2.3, we are talking about underated cars and an rs4 is well known for being a monster.

i think people get a massive shock when i blow them away in my volvo, not really come up against anything on the road that has kept up to be honest not with 353lb ft torque and 311bhp @1.3 bar boost can run at 1.5 bar if i wanted. midrange acceleration is awesome on these motors 60-100 in 6 secs

What are the standard figures? What's the power to weight ratio as well?

What are the standard figures? What's the power to weight ratio as well?

Standard its 247 bhp 350 nms torque and weighs 1500 kgs, so 165 bhp per tonne 0-60 6.8 secs and 155mph so mine is about 210 bhp per tonne at the moment, big plans for next year though big Garrett turbo and forged engine

I can vouch for the RS4 with regards to torque as I had one before I changed to a C63 AMG. It's not mega torquey... the power is all above 5500rpm, you have to rev that 4.2 FSi V8 to get the best from it.

I dont want to start a "fight" but if you cant find anything faster than 311bhp (regardless of torque) you havnt been looking much

Id say that applies to RS4s as well

(lights touchpaper and retires discretely )

I agree, my RS is more powerful and lighter and no doubt quicker than your T5 but I have come across quicker things like a 450hp Evo 6, and a turbo'd astra gte that was silly quick.

I agree, my RS is more powerful and lighter and no doubt quicker than your T5 but I have come across quicker things like a 450hp Evo 6, and a turbo'd astra gte that was silly quick.
I have mates with t5's or r's with over 450bhp they are serious machines and regularly do track days

Do those Volvos go around corners well. As mine had stupid torque steer?
"A good handling car simply goes where you point it.”
Contrary to popular belief I think sheer speed have very little say on the grand scheme of things. Because once you know what 0-100mph in less than seven seconds feels like, most people guess would choose a fun car over a fast one every time. I would

Last edited:
I'd like to nominate the MGZS 180 as an underrated car. It's got a very competent chassis & even though the V6 'only' 180bhp (ish) it's plenty quick enough to have fun on the road. :p

Flammin' thirsty though! :lol:

Do those Volvos go around corners well. As mine had stupid torque steer?
"A good handling car simply goes where you point it.”
Contrary to popular belief I think sheer speed have very little say on the grand scheme of things. Because once you know what 0-100mph in less than seven seconds feels like, most people guess would choose a fun car over a fast one every time. I would

My v70r has limited slip diff and has better suspension than a normal t5 and believe me it can goes round corners just got to feather the throttle as will spin the wheels for a long way if you plant your foot too early

Well first off loz is spot on. Zs 180 was an epic feat of engineering and handled amazingly.

Second I know what t5frankie means, yes, there are cars with more power/torque than his but how often do you come across them?

Bit like my old 172, there weren't that many cars that could go round corners like it did. Plenty that were faster 0-60 but not many that could keep up in the twisty bits.

Yes I agree, anyone can drive fast in in a fast car down a straight road but it's the corners where the smiles are induced, back in the day 911's would leave the 924 turbo's for dust but once they came to the corners the 924's would annihilate the 911.......apparently And that brings me to my other underrated car. The 924S..

ill nominate the renault 21 turbo
FkDAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Octavia vRS (mk1) is under rated here where I live. Almost nobody recognise her on the street and I have not once hear someone talks about that car. Strange because Octavia's are very popular around here.
I understand she could be better, but in the end she is a Golf GTI beneath the familly costume.

in all seriousness now my favourite underrated car is either a vauxhall monaro vxr or the toyota sprinter trueno ae86! two massively underrated cars
Imo neither of these cars are underrated they are both well known for their capabilities;)

i mean in the way the larger cars over shadow them, if you see a big v8 audi you think "wow" but you see a big v8 vauxhall and you get "wow nice car, but why not buy an audi?" lol same with the 240sx why not buy an r33 skyline lol

Here's a leftfield one.
2004 to 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6

3.6 V6, 255bhp, 0-60 in 6.7, in a big 4 door saloon. you can get a 5 year old one with under 40k on the clock for 5 grand. bulletproof chain-driven v6. Rear wheel drive with LSD.

Here's what the honestjohn review said:

‘Sport', which transforms its character completely. If you are a left-foot braker you will love this car in ‘Sport' because it allows you to control the changes with your feet. No need for a ‘tip' lever or buttons or paddles on the steering wheel, you get the gear you want with your feet and it stays in the right gear all the way through the corner. In kickdown in Sport you'll see the needle push close to 7,000rpm, if you want it to, accompanied by a glorious banshee V6 howl reminiscent of a Honda NSX at full chat. 0-60 takes just 6.7 seconds.Whack it into a bend (the first bend on our route, actually, since it inspired so much confidence) and you get proper, adjustable rear-drive grip with steering feel so far unfelt in an American car. No air suspension or anything like that. Instead, a Sigma floorpan incorporating Nivomat self-levelling suspension and StabiliTrak stability control system developed on the Nürburgring. So good, you don't even notice the electronic angels keeping you on the road. Tyres are a sensible 225/50 R17. I don't like cars with hard, uncompromising suspension more suited to the racetrack than the road. To my mind this Cadillac gets it almost as right as a standard BMW 5-Series without quite the same oily precision as the BMW's steering. Sometimes there's a trace of float over crests, but you've got to be driving ridiculously quickly to notice. For day-to-day luxury with the extra capability of quick A to B times, this is a fine car.

Let's face it, you'd have to pay at least double for a comparable 5 series or Audi A4/6. I was reading about the 2008 on model, which uses direct injection straight into the combustion chamber and gets 311bhp out of its 3.6 V6. Cool!

Sounds like quite an interesting car.

compare one to a car of similar size and performance and it looks massively underrated but as a car compared to other "normal" cars then it's probably overrated

Fiat 500 Abarth - stunningly fun in a go cart fun kind of way. Never thought I'd like it but was really impressed.