Your opinion on this 206.

Pixel

Road Burner
Car
Ford Fiesta Zetec-S
Link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-Y-Peugeo...oryZ9859QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First off, the car above is so perfect it’s almost too good to be true, I’ve been looking around for 206's lately but at the end of the day there would be something missing. The colour wasn’t right, price was too high and hell in some occasions it wasn’t even the 2.0 D-Turbo.

The auction above is a classified add by a car dealership, they want 4 grand which is a respectable price but I will have to knock them down a bit from £4,000. It’s a nice orange colour and immaculate condition for the 105,000 miles it’s covered (but that’s NOTHING for a diesel engine, right...?)

But off course there is a reason why I'm still here and not camping outside the dealership until it opens tomorrow. I need to find out how much he wants on finance, I make £85 (sometimes more) a week and I’m sure he wont want more than that but I do need money to spend! I’m hoping he wants £25 a week or less (for a 4 year duration).

What do you guys think about the car in whole?
What do you think about finance all together?

Also,

Its a good 250 miles away from my home, is it wise to buy a car so far away? If it was to brake, would I have to drive all the way back there?

I’m confused but excited because this is such a good opportunity for me.
All opinions and advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :D

It looks like a nice car. Finance is always a bit of a mugs game in my opinion. Look at how much you will be actually paying for the car. If it is on finance you must do comprehensive cover and I know you said you wanted to chip it and often finance companies can be funny over modifications as they are effectively part owners. To be honest with you I would never buy a car on finance as it will often depreciate faster that you cover the repayments so you end up paying a high monthly payment on a car that is not that valuable. Can you afford the servicing and MOT test etc the car will need each year on top of the payments. It could well leave you very skint and very stretched. If it had a problem then you would have to drive it all the way back to the dealer to get it fixed under warantee. Never let your heart rule your head.

You raise a few interesting points, however...

I still live at home, my parents would likely pay for its tax, insurance and MOT. Id have to pay for the finance itself which is £20 a week and the fuel. I currently have a part time job that brings in £90+ and when I start university I’ll get 80 from the job and 200 (a week) from my student loan.

He wants 4 grand but I wont pay that because its not worth 4 grand, I should be able to knock him down to 3 (or just over) and then with finance, when the 4 years is up I’ll have paid 4 grand in total which is a fair bit of interest but over the years its not that much? Plus, it’s better than a loan. I need a new car but I don’t have the money up front and I can’t save...

As for the warranty, Id need to discuss this with him. Maybe we come to an agreement on any unforeseen claims. Meet me half way? Send out a client to inspect damage and wire payment across.

Does anything still worry you? Your concerns bring things to light but as long as I have a reasonable answer for your concerns then I feel like I could buy this car without hassle. If I haven’t answered your previous concerns in this email, let me know why/how!

Thank you :)

car looks good, diesles do tend to go beyond 100000 onto about 140000-150000ish the price i think could be knocked down.

have a look at the car once you've summed up whether its worth it, and DO NOT go for finance i would pay no more than 3200 for it, and imagine how much it would be on finance. £25 a week = £100 a month = £1200 a year = £4800 for four years. thats serious money for that car. when looking at the car make sure you check over everything and heckle alot with any fault you find to knock money off, dealers expect to receive less than they advertise anyway depending on condition.

test drive and comprehensive engine body and interior checks if they ar eall sweet ask about the price, if he wont budge much then get your moneys worth with accessories or a warramty, if you get a warranty comb over the terms and duration, is it open to any garage or the ones they specify? can they specify one thats closer to home. and if you feel okay about travelling that far then make a wise choice, but remember to heckle!

Thanks for the info guys!

Finance is a lot compared to a loan quote I received, loan £4,000 and payback £95 a month over 4 years which is less than £700 interest!

Thats way less than finance plus with a loan, your open to private car sales :)

I still want the Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi though.

4 grand loan, pay 3 for the car itself and then use the rest on upgrades :)

debt is a dangerous game, i hate it and will never use loans or finance if i dont have to. if u pay it all up front its yours. end of. if its on finance you dont own the car untill you pay off every last penny, which means that extra you have for mods will get you nothing, as said previously insurance wont be too narked at all.

also as said before if you pay upfront the cash the car is yours but you also save yourself the overhanging payments, it might be a stretch to pay that much but you dont buy a car and mod it to the back knackers the next day do you? enjoy what you have then apply, which is easier on the wallet.

alternatively get a different car :p i really want a mini coper s with the tuning kit, but hey ho im saving :wink:

best of luck anyway

I avoid debt at all costs and rather save and pay up front for things. If you do get a loan make sure you can pay it off early and save some of the interest. Chances are that your income will increase over the 4 years and you can shorten the loan and start saving for your Ferrari!

I'm :mrgreen: that you still live at home and that your parents will help you out! Those were the days that I remember well (although they didn't pay for my car bills!)

wow looks really good, and not mch to haggle with, good miles for year, only 2 owners and looks like its been kept well. you'll have to check the car properly first but i reckon you could knock it down to 4200 depending on bits and bobs. make an offer of 4250ish

good luck

Its in Ireland so I cant go look at it...

btw, he already accepted my offer of £4,200 without hesitance.

Im gonna push for 4!

whoa slow down!

its in ireland so you can't see it, and he has accepted you offer straight away? don't buy it without looking at it first!

I asked him if he would accept £4,200...

I haven't bought anything.

But I cant go look at it... its in Ireland, lol.

He said he would arrange for it to be delivered to my door and I could look at it and test drive it and then decide?

Thats a bit pricey for him to go out on such a limb? Hes seem a bit too eager.

Besides, Ive already bought that 206 D Turbo from Cardiff :D

oooh, how much did you settle for? and do you akready have it or is it to be picked up?

whats the first thing planned?

He wanted £4,000.

I lowered him down to £3,700, It comes with some warranty and a new MOT.

My loan cheque is clearing and he has to get the car MOT'd so I'll pick it up Tuesday.

Im going to talk to a guy in my area that does window tint and im buying a mesh grill on ebay. The car comes with standard alloys but I might buy some nicer ones in 2-3 months. Amongst other things, I am looking to lower the car by 30mm.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back