Your first car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Everyone remembers their first car. What was yours? What went wrong with it? What do you remember fondly about it?

Mine was a Renault 9 TLE with a massive 1342cc engine and electronic ignition! Most of my mates had Fiestas and I was driving a saloon car! Nothing really went wrong with it other than the fact I wrote it off very shortly after I bought it - inexperience and playing with the radio controls I'm afraid.

After that I went British for a few years and had a Vauxhall Astra, Nova, Astra and then a couple more Novas.

1988 Fiat Panda Super (999cc).

It cost the grand sum of £180 from eBay, and £750 to insure third party, fire and theft.

I can't even remember the nature of the crash, but I recall replacing the bonnet and offside headlamp. Couldn't find the right grille so I made one from Halfords best mesh.

I managed to break the engine mount on the top of the gearbox, but £15 at the same breakers the bonnet came from bought me a new one.

Replaced the nearside driveshaft and spilt gearbox oil all over myself whilst rolling around in the snow.

Made my own wing mirror after a Transit took it away from me and I couldn't find a replacement quickly enough.

Eventually, after 18 months of driving it like I stole it, a big chunk of cylinder head broke out between cylinders 2 and 3, yet I still managed to drive it home where it was temporarily retired and I repaired my chum's Fiesta MoT failure and drove that instead...

...but the story doesn't end there for the Ferrari Cougar (that was what the badges on the back said after the originals were jet washed off), as my brother got the head welded and skimmed and back on the road again.

Eventually it was sold to a young couple down the road for £62 with six months MoT on it!

1981 Fiat 127. 1049cc single OHC. 70bhp. It actually went extremely well given the low bodyweight of the car. Enhanced somewhat by the factory standard organic weight reduction measures, namely the continuous conversion of steel to rust and the propensity for bits to drop off.

I had a Hillman Imp. Had a high lift cam sports manifolds and uprated SU carb. For the size of the 998cc engine it went like the clappers. :)

I had a Morris Z ute like the 1 with the rag top and wooden tray and looking back and remembering what I used to get up to in it, it's a wonder how I survived my miss spent youth;)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...v&sa=X&ei=xWxnVY3yOImF8gWx5YOoAg&ved=0CCQQsAQ

The rich kids drove Austin A40's with a copper tip on the exhaust that supposedly made them sound hot. like the green one with no 76 on the w/screen

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=austin+a40&biw=1680&bih=926&tbm=isch&imgil=E1tjyDcdrKjqJM%3A%3BR6nco-k62UeqdM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki.

The richer kids drove Austin A90 Atlantic convertibles.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...3jM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252

Last edited:
Fiat 128 1100 in yellow 1976 p reg cost 350 quid in 1983.
Got 300 quid trade in 2 years later on a 3 year old metro 1.3 hls.
The Fiat is shown in my avatar.

1981 Fiat 127. 1049cc single OHC. 70bhp. It actually went extremely well given the low bodyweight of the car. Enhanced somewhat by the factory standard organic weight reduction measures, namely the continuous conversion of steel to rust and the propensity for bits to drop off.
I know where your coming from.
I must have been lucky the 128 had no rust problems at all.
For a Fiat of this era that's very rare.

1978 Ford Fiesta with 4 on the floor and a rubber band under the hood (Errr... bonnet) . It was a shitbox but I had fun in it. $250 and I had it maybe 2 years before the underbody rotted out and the brakes gave out. I called it "The Beast"

Passed my test in 1988 and bought a 1976 Morris Marina 1.3L for £200 from a friend of my Dads. Put a Audioline radio cassette in it and cruised the highways of Dorset for a year. My brother had it from me when I bought my favourite car I've ever owned which was the 1983 Honda Prelude.
prelude0003_zpspncmoaue.jpg

My first car was nearly a 2000E mk3 Cortina but found it had been in a smash. So ended up with a bright red Marina van of 1973 vintage! Seeing I was in a band it was the better bet to lug my equipment around to each gig and practice evenings. It was slightly customised as one did in the early 80s and had its problems.

1998 Peugeot 306 D turbo. Awesome thing, cranked the boost up faaaar too much and blow the welds on the intake. (Couldnt resist)

I blew the turbo up which sent various pieces of turbo into the engine and out the exhaust.

1998 Peugeot 306 D turbo. Awesome thing, cranked the boost up faaaar too much and blow the welds on the intake. (Couldnt resist)

I blew the turbo up which sent various pieces of turbo into the engine and out the exhaust.

You're like Paul Walker, although unlike the Mitsubishi Eclipse, I doubt your car fixed itself in time for a car chase!!

Cool I have owned a few Novas in my time.

The 1.3 was a lovely engine and the sr if i remember has a low ratio gearbox.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back