Your driving weakspots

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is your biggest weak spot whilst driving? Do you have one habit that is likely to cause an accident that keeps cropping up?

I tend to forget to look left when moving lanes on a motorway, I'm usually going much quicker than the cars to the left of me but I've been caught out a few times.

I also tend to get distracted with things inside the car like the trip computer/radio and will probably wind up doing something silly if I don't try to get a handle on this habit.

When on long motorway drives I tend to zone out and just go into automatic mode. Kinda worries me sometimes 'cause I can go for half an hour without concentrating at all! :blink:

I do a lot of motorway driving and I do tend to hit the "zone" on occasion, i.e. what the hell just happened to the last hour? :blink: ;)
Very easy to switch off for me anyway if the journey starts to get a little monotonous! :embarrest:

I do a lot of motorway driving and I do tend to hit the "zone" on occasion, i.e. what the hell just happened to the last hour? :blink: ;)
Very easy to switch off for me anyway if the journey starts to get a little monotonous! :embarrest:

this allways hapen to me when i drive for long time i.e. jouneys of 1500 milles

On a tee junction on wet days. When traffic is bad, and you have to pull out and accelarate quick, I sometimes forget the power of my baby, floor her in the wet from stand still on a 90 degree turn. Back end kicks out a wee bit from time to time. :embarrest:

You hope anyway! The front end will do!!! haha :lol::lol:

PMSL!

On a tee junction on wet days. When traffic is bad, and you have to pull out and accelarate quick, I sometimes forget the power of my baby, floor her in the wet from stand still on a 90 degree turn. Back end kicks out a wee bit from time to time. :embarrest:

S'alright, just keep your foot in and AYC will make you look like a proper hero :lol:

I can get impatient, especially sat behind a numpty turning right at traffic lights. :embarrest:

Yep I know what that's like! "Should I, no in a minute, oh thought he was going then, oh love the colour of that car over there, oh damn red light again!" :lol:

I tend to get caught behind tractors down here,on the way to work in me van thru the lanes,really grinds my gears!,blooming farmers!!!....being polite!!.

I Disregard Speed limits lots I base it on if the area is safe to do 60 when the limit is 40 ill do it.

Or I sum times forget how responsive my steering is and over cook it on sum corners happened twice

Haha you mean crap not responsive. Mk2 punto steering is poo.

:lol::lol::lol:

I love it when people who have only ever driven there ''driving lesson'' car and there ''first car'' no little about how a responsive steering actually feels! lol

I have just been given a Chevi to drive out here. It is terrible. Awful to be fair. The steering is probably the worst I have ever had.

Worst I've ever had is the Corsa D, you have absolutely no idea what the front wheels are doing. Tbh I wasn't even sure they were attached most of the time.

Electric PAS FTL! I've not yet driven one anywhere near as good as good old hydraulic.

Summertime and short skirts..................nuff said.

Winter and snow.............why do people drive so slow.............oh yea forgot I'm driving a Land Rover :amuse:

Summertime and short skirts..................nuff said.

Winter and snow.............why do people drive so slow.............oh yea forgot I'm driving a Land Rover :amuse:

Try living in North Scotland when every now and again, when the weather is extreamly clememt, the women will remove there duffle coat to reveal a very fetching Woolen Cardigan!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Warning PP. You are starting to go into converstaion here with something you (have to be honest with yourself really here) don't know an awful lot about.

Your car will understeer depending on how your foot is situated on your accelarator pedal, sharpnes you turn in, type of tyre, pressure in tyre. It doesn't have much to do with the ''responsivenes'' (as you put it in a pvs post) of the car.

Id just accept you have contradicted yourself and put it down to experiance :p :blink1::bigsmile:

Experience would tell you that you will get understeer in almost any car if pushed into/through a bend too much.
Experience will also tell you that in some cars if you lift off half way through the bend whilst understeering you will get the back end out a little.
Experience will also give you an idea how to correct both these issues without too much trouble but the key fact here is that experience should teach you how to avoid both these situations. ;)

Not really considering the amount of Understeer you get with the punto its way tooo much for a car that weighs so little

Forgetting the physics of it and the dynamics of a car, I'd be really happy to know that you back off a little and go for smoothness. It's possible to get from A to B very quickly indeed without actually driving 'fast'.

I'm not a fast driver but I rarely if ever hold anyone up behind me. I'm usually the one looking to overtake!

Please mate, don't put yourself in needlessly difficult situations. I really don't want you to become a statistic. Much as I don't want to be one myself.

Sorry if I sound like your Dad, but, forgive me please. Rome wasn't built in a day, - listen to Billy Joel's 'Vienna' from his 1977 album The Stranger. I'm not usually a lyrics fan but this is quite pertinent - can be interpreted in many different ways.

I know its like that im learning before i go hurt myself i.e. drop down to 4th on corners e.t.c. things like that an actually with all the winters ice e.t.c. i have slown down i found myself going at 30 now its all melting thinking i was doing 50

Go and buy a book called Roadcraft. Written by Police Drivers and examiners. It's quite an eye opener and deals with with many things in what I think is a very interesting way.

I've read it many times over the years and it's always inspiring to re-visit parts of it.