Your dashboard controls and dials

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Are you happy with the layout of your dashboard controls and dials? Do you prefer to see your indicator stalk on the left or the right?

Can you read all of your speedo or does the position of the screen obscure it? A friends Corsa I got in was appaulingly laid out and it felt like the steering wheel was off centre! I didn't like it one bit.

I think BMW interiors whilst plain are quite well laid out, Audi dashboards always seem to look really classy, especially when there is chrome or carbon fibre trim, French cars seem to be a bit hit and miss although they have come a long way in recent years.

What would you change about the position of your dashboard controls or dials?

semi happy with it,
want to do some work with the maxi dot but it involves getting a new diagnostic cable thats about £200 - least the software free.

indicators on the wrong, to most cars, side took ages to get used to on the prelude was happy when i got back in a normal car

I never thought about this before :blink: Everything seems to fall to hand quite easily and the dials and gauges are clear and not fussy at all!
Switches have a nice smooth action and do not require Arnie type muscles to move them. :)

The 5 series I use at the moment is well laid out, clinical and functional, not especially pretty though.

The BEST column stalks I've ever used were those in my 1998 Primera P11. They had an oil damped feel about them. Nothing else I've driven comes remotely close to the quality feel these had.

An agreement to put the indicators on the same side would be useful. I switch between my wife's Astra and my Blazer. The indicator stalk is on the left on one and the right on the other. This is OK most of the time (when I can think about it). However, when having to act quickly I get it wrong. Many times I have switched on the wipers when I wanted to flash :) (insert jokes here)

Last edited:
I prefer indicators on the right stick as it makes it easier to indicate on a roundabout and use the gears at the same time.
Just something I have noticed haven driven both thats all. Obviously if you drive an auto that wouldnt be a problem :)
The mrs has a 206 and I sometimes drive that and get it mixed up as its on the left on that.

Nice to see that someone actually uses their indicators on RABs. I get the impression that most drivers can't cope with turning the wheel AND dealing with indicators.

I think mine is nearly perfect in terms of functionality and appearance. The radio controls are central and nicely laid out, the trip computer controls are on a stalk on the right. I just wish I had the cruise control option, but I think I can get this retrofitted anyway.

I'd rather pay someone else to be honest, at least they'll have the tools and I could really do without the stress. Is that an Awesome GTi jobbie?

yeah wouldn't do it myself ether as you may have to actually wire it into the ECU, then need VCDS to activate it.

yeah awesome do it i was slightly out with the price for though :( £300
amd essex should also be able to do it for you and alot closer. and it might also be worth giving audi themselves a shout see if they would do it

An agreement to put the indicators on the same side would be useful. I switch between my wife's Astra and my Blazer. The indicator stalk is on the left on one and the right on the other. This is OK most of the time (when I can think about it). However, when having to act quickly I get it wrong. Many times I have switched on the wipers when I wanted to flash :) (insert jokes here)

Looks as if OG should consider fitting washer jets to clean the inside of the 'screen.

Can't wait to rid mine of the crappy 1990's dials and the orangish yellow dash lights! to replace with a mini cooper style set of dials and dash

Oh I see, like the plasma dials. I thought you wanted the great big speedo in the middle of the dash.
166ab6c2.gif

69ca6ebe.jpg

Last edited:
I retroed cruise on the bora. Pain in the arse, to get to one of the fuse boxes I had to remove the wiper motor. Also had to splice cables as the fitting just wouldn't fit.

Pleased with layout apart from indicator stalk!it is on the left,i would put it on the right,so its the same as my van!,i get them mixed up sometimes and turn on wripers instead of indicators!,a small price to pay to drive my car.

I think mine are opposit because its an import!,i could alter it by fitting a uk spec gtr,s indi and wiper stalks,just not worth the hastle.