Your best family car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What was the best car your family had when you were growing up?

My dad didn't drive but after he died my step dad had a nice Datsun 120Y and then a Mazda 626 (which I learn't to drive in!)

My parents never drove :sad2:

But I do remember my sisters boyfriends car, a dark green MK1 Cortina GT with gold flash and rostyles. Other than that I can only remember another sisters Austin 1100 in baby blue.

My Dad never had anything really exciting to be honest. I remember a Morris Oxford; a MkII Ford Cortina (not an E; a couple of Austin Maxis (1750 single carb); a Fiat 131 Panorama (pushrod 1.6); Austin Ambassador (2.0 HLS twin carb) and finally a Sierra 1.6L.

Personally I rated the Ambassador because it was the only car he's ever had which mustered nearly 100bhp - not exciting but better than the 73bhp Sierra. It did, however, eat petrol at an alarming rate and was plagued with reliability issues.

The Fiat rusted away (perhaps this help enhance the performance - a sort of organic weight reduction process).

The Oxford was built like a tank to look at but just checked the specs and it weighed HALF what my 528i weighs.

Maxis would have made me sick with the body roll had it been able to get round a corner at more than 5mph.

Exciting type, my Dad. Hence the 8 valve Astra he has now.

Exciting type, my Dad. Hence the 8 valve Astra he has now.

:lol: He sounds like my Dad! He has got a 2001 Ford Fiesta 1.2 and claims that the speed is quite scary at times!!?? and as long as it gets him from A to B! then it will always have a parking spot outside his house ;)

What he doesn't understand though is that he's paying a small fortune to run the utilitarian Astra. I could run a vintage Jag for less.

A mini van, my dad shoe horned in an engine so big the radiator was mounted on the outside of the grill, Also a few willy's jeeps and an Austin Champ, but my favourite of all was a vw microbus, Dad was prett cool once

A mini van, my dad shoe horned in an engine so big the radiator was mounted on the outside of the grill, Also a few willy's jeeps and an Austin Champ, but my favourite of all was a vw microbus, Dad was prett cool once

Now that is cool :) my dad thought he was very bold when he used Duckhams oil instead of Castrol :amuse:

Oh yeah, Duckhams Hypergrade 20w/50. Bright green in colour and leaks from everywhere.

Even in the late 1980s I was using Castrol Syntron X synthetic oils having abandoned the staple Castrol GTX as a staple oil diet.

My dads purple ford Siera with the hook opening system, and the bent bit of copper wire ignition key. It looked like it had just been robbed! It was awsom! The drivers door didn't open and the side door's handle was off, so you had to use a hook thing to open it.

Loved that car. I think it was the first car that had email in it too. My old man had this big spike thing in there and if people wanted to get hold of him, they would opent the door and leave a note. The thing wasn't worth robbing!

I'll never forget getting driven to football trg down the back roads on Anglesey listning to Real to Real, I like to move it!!! :D