Your best car modification so far

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What has been the best car modification you've done so far?

Did it make much difference to the cars power/drivability? What other mods would you list as your top modifications?

Remap.
Done it on the Scoobies I've owned and both times it made it a different car.
However the remap is something to do after other mods. My only other mod was 3in decat exhaust.

In the future (next March) I'm upgrading all the brakes to a Brembo set up. Then further down the line the suspension all swapped out for a set of Pedders.

I'm happy with the performance just want to upgrade the cornering and braking :)

If it's a turbo then remap otherwise I focus on suspension, the handling is a big part of your enjoyment of the car.

The most fun mod was a remap on the tdi - it really transformed the car.

IMO the best and first mod that should be done on any turbo car is a free flowing larger diameter mandrel bent exhaust system with from the turbine outlet that has a resonator mid way and a straight thru black box/silencer/muffler at the rear followed by a remap.

IMO the best and first mod that should be done on any turbo car is a free flowing larger diameter mandrel bent exhaust system with from the turbine outlet that has a resonator mid way and a straight thru black box/silencer/muffler at the rear followed by a remap.
Good tips. I see too many doing a remap, getting the bug for tuning and then after adding loads of upgrades have to go and get it mapped again. I guess if we had crystal balls we'd know what the future holds and save money, and we'd sit down more carefully!

Some really good insights there. Appreciate the comments, it makes beginning a project much easier.

Good tips. I see too many doing a remap, getting the bug for tuning and then after adding loads of upgrades have to go and get it mapped again. I guess if we had crystal balls we'd know what the future holds and save money, and we'd sit down more carefully!

As I have said previously IMO the absolute first mod for any turbo car/truck etc should be the exhaust system upgraded to a larger diameter free flowing MANDREL BENT SYSTEM with straight thru glass pack mufflers/silencers.

It doesn't matter one bit if the turbine outlet is much smaller than the say 3 inch dump pipe diameter as the larger pipes will reduce any exhaust back pressure and in doing so allows the turbo to spool up/ increase boost pressure faster.

IF your car has a converter then you should fit a freer er flowing cat as well for the best result.

FYI Mandrel bends do not reduce the internal diameter of the pipes like press bends which makes for a better exhaust flow.