You know you're an old driver when...

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
You know you're an old driver when you remember wide open fields which are now roads.
Policemen look like they should still be at school.
You go into misty eyed nostalgia when you see a 30 year old car on the roads.
When you buy a beaded massaging seat cover for your car.

I'm sure you can fill in a few more....

Reactions: Teo
We were discussing this very thing down the Dog and Duck last week.

Driving in the winter was a mini adventure. Even starting the car was a lottery.

Mind you, the roads were empty, no remotely operated speed or average speed cameras or ANPRs.

The police sat in their cars on raised areas on Motorways so you had a sporting chance.

You could skip a month's tax or MOT with little chance of getting caught.

Iffy MOTs were easy to get.

Cars were easy to repair.

Life was actually much better but we didn't realise it at the time.

Oh the giddy excitement of the will it start and will it stall at the next junction! We are spoilt nowadays. Bring back Carbs - oh carbs are bad for you apparently.

I agree OG, I must admit the noise my HSX Chevette made when running just the trumpets on the twin 48s was something else. I miss that car, worth a bit of money today.

If you have a spare 10k there is currently a hs on autotrader I was drooling over it earlier

I agree OG, I must admit the noise my HSX Chevette made when running just the trumpets on the twin 48s was something else. I miss that car, worth a bit of money today.

You know you're an old driver when you remember wide open fields which are now roads.
Policemen look like they should still be at school.
You go into misty eyed nostalgia when you see a 30 year old car on the roads.
When you buy a beaded massaging seat cover for your car.

I'm sure you can fill in a few more....

Driving at the age of 12 (Legal for Farm Kids as long as it was Farm pick-ups or Farm related Machinery! |B)
Getting my Official Drivers License at 16 - 4 years after I already started driving-:rofl:
Being Stopped for speeding/drag racing 2 weeks after I got my drivers license for 135mph in a 35!! The local Officer knew our family well. They(the police dept. ) suspended my drivers lic for 4 weeks UNOFFICIALLY!!:oops:
Honda 305 sport bikes - Really Fast then!!! (8})
Local Police stopping you for Speeding, giving you a tongue wagging and then confiscating all our beer to only drink it later after their shift!! :(
My 1968 Chevy 327 that I could almost tune by ear and do any work on it by myself! |B
$5 junk yard rear ends - No Fear of blowing those up!!!:cool:
Collecting used cardboard and soda bottles for Gas money!! Fuel was 21 cents per gallon!!! :)
Meeting George Barris and his wild car creations at age 10, One kool guy!!!|B
Going to three High school Proms in one year, for under $50 total for all 3!
The very first girl(Kathleen Betz) that kissed me at age 5!!!!! <B
The 50's-60's and 70's were The BEST years in my Life!!!!!!!!!!!! |B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B

Last edited:
I started in 1962 so the biggest change is racing was legal with no max speed limit :cool:. Remember having record times between places. Try Chiswick to Great Cambridge around the North Circular in 23 minutes these days :rofl::rofl:. Great days that had to stop because of nutters like me. The Copper in his 105E Anglia didn't bother chasing us lads in our modded cars it was great while it lasted. If you have only driven for the past 45 years its impossible to imagine what it was like back then no one really gave a monkey's. Imagine today being allowed to do 200+mph the length of the M1 motorway & believe me I would have done just that if I had the car back then but 120mph was my top wack in my GSM . So glad I was young back then & not now.

If you have a spare 10k there is currently a hs on autotrader I was drooling over it earlier

Yes seen that one, not as nice as the one I had, the 'X' had wood dash and door cappings. £10k is the starting price here but no takers as people probably think they are hard work and unreliable.

When there were no radar traps ;)
Can remember watching the first ones in action with the Plod hiding behind a hedge with this big dish and 2waying his sidekick further up the road with info to book the speeder