You Know Your Tired When....

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
youknow your tired when: add to this list when you do something only warranted by being very very tired

you know your tired when:

you go to put unleaded in a diesel
you put your expensive jeans in the bin instead of the laundry bin
you go to put diesel in an unleaded

fingers said:
You spend 30 min's looking for your watch and then realise you're wearing it.
I did that with my belt.

You check the time on your watch and inadvertantly empty the drink you were holding onto.
You're looking for 3rd gear in a rental car, that's automatic.
Hazard lights confuse you because you can't work out which way they want to turn.
You mistake your odometer for the time.
You can't shut the car door, because you're leg is still outside.

I've got loads of these...

When I was learning to drive I managed to engage reverse instead of 5th. I must admit I wondered why the gearbox sounded like it was breaking up and then on another occassion I got 1st gear instead of 3rd - the rev needle went bonkers! :D

Now I just use versi gear all of the time and leave it in 3rd! (Only joking but my wife would have something to say on this subject.)

In the days before automatics were controlled electronically I managed to select R at 60mph in a Saab. Surprisingly there was no damage but it was quite dramatic with locked soild front wheels an awful lot of smoke. More luckily, no one got hurt either.

I also once made the mistake when tired of trying to push down an imaginary clutch pedal in an auto. What do we do withthe clutch pedal? Yes, we push it right down.

My left foot caught the left hand side of the overside brake pedal, thereby applying full brake pressure at 70mph. Poor sod behind nearly had kittens but managed to avoid hitting me. Well done that man.

HDi fun said:
My left foot caught the left hand side of the overside brake pedal, thereby applying full brake pressure at 70mph. Poor sod behind nearly had kittens but managed to avoid hitting me. Well done that man.
Ha! Absolute magic there. Mercedes Vitos have a footbrake instead of a handbrake which is located to the left of the clutch. Remarkably difficult to get your head around when you first get in as it requires a quick rendition of Riverdance to stop at traffic lights. Bad for me as I normally engage handbrake but keep my foot on the clutch.

Merecdes Benz has done this for years with the left foot parking brake thing. Even in big S-Class saloons.

I've driven one or two of them, and quite a lot of more modest Mercs too.

I remember a 311 CDi van I used only two years ago having a similar arrangement. And that was a manual transmission vehicle. I hated the gear shift stick mounted on the dashboard - every time I changed ratio i managed to indicate for a change of direction I had no intent to make.

Controls far too close to each other.

I think the foot operated parking brake is designed to appeal to USA pensioners. They're all gonna be ordering autos so the left foot is available to apply the parking brake.

1996-1999 Jaguar XK-8 and XK-R have an even sillier arrangement. THe handbrake is to the right of the drivers seat in a UK RHD car (adjacent to the door).

It's a pick it up and put it down affair. But the lever always falls to the floor. How do you know if it's released or applied? At least until you start to move and the car screams 'brake on' messages. And the lever is still down.

SO, do you pcik it up again?

I dunno.

???

god damn it my head is spinning!

3 pedals for manual: clutch brake and accelorator everything where it bloody should be, and auto: brake then accelorator and everything where it should be! anything else is taboo and should be shunned from society as it breeds a new kind of human: unable to drive.

like an old lady trying to reverse a volvo.

Next to the doors hardly seems the most convenient place to put it. The thing that really niggled me about the foot/hand brake was the clacking noise of the rachet as it engaged. I was always taught to push the button in when apply so you don't wear the teeth down. Also, releasing the e-brake resulted in a very sudden pop-and-go sort of affair, especially on a hill start.

Can we get a drift racer in one of these cars please? I want to see how they manage a Scandanavian flick with a bit of handbrake.

Yukky - let's leave that one there. Although I supposed if you're plastered at the time it's marginally more forgivable.

You're tired when you actually do fill a diesel car with unleaded and manage to drive away again without noticing the terminal destruction of the engine until it finaly seizes.

I suppose managing to ram the diesel nozzle into the tank of a petrol car takes some effort too so that's maybe up with the top ten.

you know you're tired when you finish your fag while sat on the toilet, and throw it through your legs, and it hits the branch on the way down.

i dont smoke but i found this hilarious when someone i knew did it, and when it blistered up, his partner accused him of cheating and contracting an STD.....