You know I hate bridges

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We booked a weekend away and stayed for one night in the Thurrock Formula1 "hotel".

The sat nav happily sent us through the Dartford toll crossing, then got us to do a U turn because it was convinced that there was a slip road off the QE bridge to the hotel forcing us to go right over the QE bridge again. We then turned round and went through the dartford crossing again and tried to manually navigate to the hotel with more success.

So we had to pay 3 toll crossing as well when we only really needed to pay the one! :eek:

Anyhow, if you were wanting cheap accomodation the F1 is not worth it. £33 per night and I felt ripped off. The toilets were were told were in the corridors, not ensuite, and it smelled literally like people had used the corridors. The toilets were those horrible self cleaning jobs. The lock on the room was dodgy to say the least and we were greeted in our room, not with WELCOME enjoy your say messages but 2 notices.

1) The TV is alarmed - do not nick it. It will not work if you do nick it. (The TV was about 12 inches in size anyway and offered a dizzying 3.5 channels to choose from anyway!)

2) Do not disconnect the smoke alarm. £60 fine if you do and the authorities will be notified.

If the room had been painted grey I would be convinced it was a prison cell, although they do have an ensuite toilet!

I didn't realise that hotels could be reduced to the level of a vending machine but they've managed it. Travellodge next time then.

It was a last minute thing that I booked in a hurry without the usual research being done. That will teach me.

Lesson learnt mate. At least you were trying to be spontanious!

Exactly! that's why my lady very rarely complains! As on a Friday or Saturday night I just say, Pack your bags woman, were off to pastures new! she loves it! :) If it works it works, if not! there's always the next time! :)

We booked a weekend away and stayed for one night in the Thurrock Formula1 "hotel".

The sat nav happily sent us through the Dartford toll crossing, then got us to do a U turn because it was convinced that there was a slip road off the QE bridge to the hotel forcing us to go right over the QE bridge again. We then turned round and went through the dartford crossing again and tried to manually navigate to the hotel with more success.

So we had to pay 3 toll crossing as well when we only really needed to pay the one! :eek:

Anyhow, if you were wanting cheap accomodation the F1 is not worth it. £33 per night and I felt ripped off. The toilets were were told were in the corridors, not ensuite, and it smelled literally like people had used the corridors. The toilets were those horrible self cleaning jobs. The lock on the room was dodgy to say the least and we were greeted in our room, not with WELCOME enjoy your say messages but 2 notices.

1) The TV is alarmed - do not nick it. It will not work if you do nick it. (The TV was about 12 inches in size anyway and offered a dizzying 3.5 channels to choose from anyway!)

2) Do not disconnect the smoke alarm. £60 fine if you do and the authorities will be notified.

If the room had been painted grey I would be convinced it was a prison cell, although they do have an ensuite toilet!

I didn't realise that hotels could be reduced to the level of a vending machine but they've managed it. Travellodge next time then.

this sounds like a luxury apartment compared to some of the holes ive stopped in over the years working away!!!!

Change your employer time I think.
this was some years ago. and part of stopping in some cheap holes was so we made more money for ourselves. our allowance iirc was £20-£35 per night for accommodation (depending on what part of the country) and £8 for food.

so the best example i have where i made money was rhyl. the b&b was £8 a night so was pocketing and extra £12 a day which added to the food allowance = £20 extra a day. which in rhyl at the time paid for my lunch, dinner and drinks on the night. this was the only job i ever did where i didnt have to use my own wages.

but on the flipside of that there was 1 job where i made virtually no money at all and thats inc my wages:embarrest: and thats when i was working down truro and stopped in newquay. lets just say it was in the height of summer and i did more drinking than working;)

lets just say it was in the height of summer

that's standard procedure at this end of the country, Pubs, Shops and other businesses think they can extract more money from people just because the Sun has come out for the first time in four months, Unfortunatley the tourists who come expect a nice little quiet town with plenty to do and not that expensive, when they get here they find the exact opposite, that goes for pretty much every town along the south coast :mad:

You could Buy Rhyl for £8 :)

this was some years ago. and part of stopping in some cheap holes was so we made more money for ourselves. our allowance iirc was £20-£35 per night for accommodation (depending on what part of the country) and £8 for food.

so the best example i have where i made money was rhyl. the b&b was £8 a night so was pocketing and extra £12 a day which added to the food allowance = £20 extra a day. which in rhyl at the time paid for my lunch, dinner and drinks on the night. this was the only job i ever did where i didnt have to use my own wages.

but on the flipside of that there was 1 job where i made virtually no money at all and thats inc my wages:embarrest: and thats when i was working down truro and stopped in newquay. lets just say it was in the height of summer and i did more drinking than working;)

that's standard procedure at this end of the country, Pubs, Shops and other businesses think they can extract more money from people just because the Sun has come out for the first time in four months, Unfortunatley the tourists who come expect a nice little quiet town with plenty to do and not that expensive, when they get here they find the exact opposite, that goes for pretty much every town along the south coast :mad:
the main thing i meant by the height of summer was it was actually sunny and lots of scantily clad women;)
tbh mate back in 2002 iirc it wasnt that badly priced cause of all the pubs competing with each other.

You could Buy Rhyl for £8 :)
sorry but you can keep it for that much!!!
for me to buy rhyl id want change from a penny:amuse: