Yaris engine swapping

redevil92

Car
Yaris
I am working on my first car and I was wondering if anyone has successfully swapped a fast engine inside of a small yaris sedan?
Im looking into making my car fast and I could use any advice or tips into which engines I should check out or if its even possible.

There is a 20 valve 4age in a seriously quick Yaris over here.He said the swap was not a straight swap so I guess that he may have had to do some mods .

Virtually any engine can be transplanted into any car. It just depends on your time, skill and funds.

Not very helpful, I know :)

Surf the Yaris forums and Google Yaris engine swap. You may not find much as I don't think that this is a popular car to mod, but I may be wrong.

Engines from the same manufacturer are usually easier to transplant than those from other makers.

Unless you have a really serious budget these ideas are often best left alone.
Honestly engine swops never cost what you first imagine (the school is still out as to what multiple you should use)

Besides tried and tested turbo kits are readily available for the yaris and there is also a supercharger kit available.

That ought to be enough power

Last edited:
It might be easier than first thought.

2006 onwards til 2010 the Yaris came with a 1.8, 133bhp, which I believe is the non-vvt version of the 1.8 from the Celica, which has 189bhp. I think the engine dimensions are the same so it should drop in. You might need to upgrade fuel pump, change ecu and things but 189bhp in a Yaris would be fun. Dunno why Toyota never did this anyway.

If I had a Yaris I would do a supercharger conversion, there are some impressive kits around where all the issues have been ironed out.

As @Yugguy suggest you could get then 1.8 Yaris engine and then convert it the 1.8 VVT, usually a head change and ECU swap will suffice but I'm not that familiar with these engines.

Thanks for the replies! Any information I can get is great.
I might want to check out some celica engines since I think its safer to stick with the same brand. I'm still debating the idea though.

Mighty car mods have recently done an engine swap for a yaris, from a 1.3vvti to a 1.8vvti corolla engine, if from UK, drivers side engine mount has to be ordered specially as original mount is too big, it has been done. I'm thinking of doing the same rather then being boring and buying a tsport lol, best of luck!

That's pretty mental! Love the concept though. If you do it please start a project thread, this is the sort of thing we love reading about.

Yeah definitely mate! Just don't underdtand when people say it's expensive blah blah, it's cheap! So many corolla engines ect on ebay for like £200-£400,

Mighty car mods have recently done an engine swap for a yaris, from a 1.3vvti to a 1.8vvti corolla engine, if from UK, drivers side engine mount has to be ordered specially as original mount is too big, it has been done. I'm thinking of doing the same rather then being boring and buying a tsport lol, best of luck!

Yes, it has been done, before MCM. You have to use a Scion xD mount. In my case, on the passenger side as it's left hand drive. I would buy a TS if I were you. They have lots of extra features, I think, such as 17" wheels, handling/suspension improvements and rear disc brakes. Here's mine:
. IG: https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/