XJS owners introduce yourself here.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do we have any XJS owners out there? If so post up a brief hello and tell us about yourself and your car.

1977 XJS Owner here, will have photos available in next month or so, currently about 1 week away from new engine replacement completion - pulled out V12 and replaced with 1UZ-FE engine ( V8 ) from Soarer and added twin turbo. Cant wait to throw it on the dyno to see its results.
After engine completion will be off to paint shop for respray.

Hi there mate. I really look forward to seeing the pics. They are lovely engines, I bet that conversion took a bit of work.

1987 3.6 coupe.

was a rust bucket when i got it and i am slowly getting back to a sound car ready for modifieing.

i ave allready shaved the doors and fitted remote poppers.
filled all the panel joins and de badged it.

plans are to midely mod it and to make it go faster.:bigsmile:

Sounds like a great project. Is it the twin lights or single lamp? If twin take out the inner lamps and use them as a cold air feed!

Didn't top gear take one of these, strip it out and fit nitrous to it?

hello, yes i have two & love them . i hope to talk to people who have modified their engines as i am currently trying to set up webbers and emulsion tubes are my stumbling block , i need 4 x f19 tubes so if you can help please contact me many thanks pat

Hi pat, welcome to TorqueCars. tell us a bit about your car? I'm guessing its an older one? What are your plans for it? Fast road car or stripped out track day racer?

hello Waynne, yes its an older unit, set up as a sprinter, at a later date ( when i learn how to load pictures ) i will post a few . v12 xjs ' s have a strong following in australia as track cars , more so on the east coast . i am located on the west and mine is the only xjs currently being raced . pictures paint a thousand words , however details as follows ....... red exterior black and silver signage , race slicks 255 x 620 x18" front & 285x640 x18 rear 19x9" 5 spoke mags std brake with green stuff linings gaz adjustable shocks at corners 4.11 diff crown wheel and pinion from jeep installed into std irs assy .
gear box is t56 6 speed & tilton 7.25 tripple plate clutch on button flywheel . custom extractors 6 x 44 idf webers ( currently being installed ) 6 ltr stroker kit , 10.5 : 1 compression ,o ringed block ,heads ported & guides adjusted , race cams , crane ignition . i cant rember much more , its been a build over several years and a steep learning curve , but we getting there now. i will post photos when my daughter can assist. regards pat

thanks coupe, i took the liberty of having a look at you xjs , is it a manual ? it looks streight and well sprung , very rare in aus. importantly what got you into jags ? for me i beleive you get a lot of car for a little money also we dont have rust problems in australia of the magnitude uk has

hello
its a manual box.
the rust has mainly gone now.

i got into jags cos i allways wanted one and i got fed up with offroading in my 4x4.
i wanted a car i could use every day and not have to trailer to events all the time.

plus i thought at my age it was time to grow up. (naaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

I'm a not so proud owner at the moment,

Had my XJS for two months now and have spent quite a bit of money fixing it and now I have a suspect head gasket/cooling problem which is what I am trying to fix today, My sort of build log (more of a confession) is on this page

(if torquecars dont want me to link it I can copy/paste it into a new thread if needed just contact me via pm)

http://www.atkcommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2023

The bodywork is pretty mint with a few minor blemishes but the interior needs some heavy work but all that budget went out the window with the mechanical issues.

Last edited:
Do we have any XJS owners out there? If so post up a brief hello and tell us about yourself and your car.

Hi, this is Donna, I am under the username jetlag700 and I have an 1988 XJS, it is black with the stock engine which is the 5.3 V12 HE. I also have another Jag-- an 1987 Jaguar XJ6 with the 4.2 Inline 6 Cylinder hemi engine, it is gun metal grey, which is dark grey. Check out the other threads and see the other things I wrote. Your turn to introduce yourself.
I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, for those of you who live on the other side of the world, Edmonton is the capital city of Alberta.

I'm a not so proud owner at the moment,

Had my XJS for two months now and have spent quite a bit of money fixing it and now I have a suspect head gasket/cooling problem which is what I am trying to fix today, My sort of build log (more of a confession) is on this page

(if torquecars dont want me to link it I can copy/paste it into a new thread if needed just contact me via pm)

http://www.atkcommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2023

The bodywork is pretty mint with a few minor blemishes but the interior needs some heavy work but all that budget went out the window with the mechanical issues.

Hi, don't beat yourself up, these cars will reward you sweetly when you spend the money to look after them, but it still sucks. I bought a 1987 Jaguar XJ6 about a year and a half ago and it blew a head gasket three weeks or so after I bought it. I still have the car and it just won't die. I have it stored right now and it is really cold here and that old "tank" starts in this weather and it is not even plugged in, can't plug it in. It "pouts' a little before it starts but it starts. I need about three thousand dollars of front end work on it before I drive it anymore. It needs brakes, brake pads, some minor suspension work, you know, the kinda stuff that one has to just pick away at until it is all done. But don't get discouraged about the money you put into it, if you plan to have your car for years and years then it is still better than paying 50,000 for a new car with plastic bumpers and most of us know that new cars were not ment to last as these older cars were, that is why I call my 88 XJ6 "the tank", because it is a strong engine and a tough car.

hello Donna ,and a happy new year , heres hopeing that the tank gets a little tlc over this new year and you can enjoy the feeling what only a jaguar owner can know .

Hi Donna.

All us classic car owners have 'lists' don't we, fix one area and something else comes up but wouldn't have it any other way. Love the old XJS's proper proper car and I bet every journey is an 'event' instead of just getting from A to B isn't it.

hello Donna ,and a happy new year , heres hopeing that the tank gets a little tlc over this new year and you can enjoy the feeling what only a jaguar owner can know .

Hi, yeah, my tank gets alot of tlc. It is one spoiled cat, it bites and scratches me every now and then -the consequences-my wallet gets thinner~!~!
I am going to do the other three wheel bearings this spring, I have had the calipers, brake pads, one wheel bearing, some body work, and rear rotors done this past three months. I removed two of the four catalytic converters, removed two resonators and left two mufflers, removed the old carpets so that I can put in new carpets this spring. All the spark plugs are good, so are the wires, and thankfully it needs nothing else. I wash it every other day to keep the road salt off of it as well.....now that is spoiled.
opps, this is the xjs I am talking about, I just realized that you were talking about my xj6 that I have in storage, yes, I am going to fix the suspension and do the brakes and stuff like that, it is not road worthy because the brakes need to be done and one front rotor is warped and was so when I bought it.

Last edited:
Hi Donna.

All us classic car owners have 'lists' don't we, fix one area and something else comes up but wouldn't have it any other way. Love the old XJS's proper proper car and I bet every journey is an 'event' instead of just getting from A to B isn't it.

I would rather spend alot of money restoring an old Jag than buy a new one or any other new car for that matter. Just love them, they are a dream machine to drive, love the handling and the small cozy interior and the large engine. They are just my all around favourite car. I think some new cars are really beautiful but I still wouldn't give up either of my Jaguars for a new car.

1977 XJS Owner here, will have photos available in next month or so, currently about 1 week away from new engine replacement completion - pulled out V12 and replaced with 1UZ-FE engine ( V8 ) from Soarer and added twin turbo. Cant wait to throw it on the dyno to see its results.
After engine completion will be off to paint shop for respray.

You did WHAT??? That's like someone giving YOU a sex change~!!~!~