Xenon, Argon, Tungsten and HID bulbs comparison

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The headlight bulb went the other day. In most cars I can ignore this until servicing time or the next MOT. I know a lot of other TorqueCars members will have a go at me for this but I am often too busy to get involved with changing bulbs and I still have a driving lamp on that side anyway. However, in my Audi, it is not possible to ignore this, each time you turn the lights on the car will beep a warning message at you and patronise you for your entire journey by showing you a picture of an amber bulb with an X through it.

Continue reading...

My own chariot uses adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights and I think their marvellous. Her indoors though has standard halogens on her 2010 Focus Vert, I will sort out a visit to Halfords maybe next Sunday and have them upgraded for her to some bad boy specials ;)

HiDs are superb with luminosity. Colour rendition is less good due to the 'white' light being comprised of many discrete line spectra. Sunlight and incandescent light are of the continuous spectrum type. In my opinion HiD is superior in terms of driver vision - it's worth the minor hit in chromatic acuity.

Anybody ever driven anything with the new 'LED' headlights? Interested to know what these are like... Should pretty much put an end to bulb changing. Wish my car had them, a failed Xenon lamp last week meant removing the the front of the car again to get the headlamp out to do the bulb change :(

how strange, not been on for a few days and I am having my front headlights upgraded to quad projectors, 2 with the logo etched into the lens.

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 2