X5 upgrade....3.0 Diesel

kelly

Car
bmw 335i e92
Hi guys
i got a 2006 X5 (3.0 D)whith a software upgrade, it's making good power and lots of torque after the upgrade, but i want to ugrade my turbo .

Any suggestions?
Will an exhaust upgrade give me bettter performance? What size?

By software upgrade do you mean remap?
@ Price: its a CPI software upgrade which you do the ecu port, changing your fuel and air, boost ect. torque went up to 625 Nm en power to 205 Kw. but the problem i have, if you drive it WOT, too much black smoke is coming out the exhaust, normal driving, it's fine.i've read somewhere on the net that the turbo is not giving enough air and nead to upgrade to get more flow..........so, i was wondering if somebody had the same problem
It's a real pleasure to drive the X5 now, i NEED the torque to tow my boat (2400 kg) in total weight

@ Price: its a CPI software upgrade which you do the ecu port, changing your fuel and air, boost ect. torque went up to 625 Nm en power to 205 Kw. but the problem i have, if you drive it WOT, too much black smoke is coming out the exhaust, normal driving, it's fine.i've read somewhere on the net that the turbo is not giving enough air and nead to upgrade to get more flow..........so, i was wondering if somebody had the same problem
It's a real pleasure to drive the X5 now, i NEED the torque to tow my boat (2400 kg) in total weight
sorry.....PRINCE :eek:)

It's fine. ;)

Was it done by computer or with a chip? Smoke may mean overfueling, which if done by a chip means you need to get rid of it as chips tend to just trick the ECU into giving the car more fuel.

No, it was done by computer.
I agree its over fueling, but i've read somewhere if you upgrade your turbo to get MORE air, it will go away, the stock turbo cant keep up with the amount of fuel that the engine is getting.............. hope the experts can clear this up for me

That sounds logical. The man to talk to about this would be HDi. Hopefully he'll see this and advise you as I'd rather not give ill-advice.

you could look at getting your current turbo hybridised using larger parts as this will mean you dont have issues with then needing to get the exhaust and manifold modified to take a larger turbo.

Welcome to the forum.

First of all the map is crap! Sorry, I do not beat around the bush. If you have excessive smoking it is over fueling as prince stated.

If you are happy with the power output you have got right now with the excessive smoke then fueling should be reduced anything above the 40% load planes (but this might be out of the depth for your mapper). This will not only reduce smoking, but also slightly increase power (reason for this is that more air is in the mixture). The reduction should be done in several stages in smaller steps since live mapping seems not to be an option.

Before changing the turbo I would advise to improve the air intake. This will widen the fueling window dramatically before smoking appears and increases torque in any case.

thanks Charliep for your input

i'll speak to the guy who did the mapping and take it from there...meantime i'll have a look at my air intake, see where to improve. Any ideas?
do you know if i fit a bigger (76mm) exhaust, it will make a big diffrence?