Wrapping & Spraying

Alrighty then....

Ive done a fair bit of spraying but nothing fancy, but was gonna have a stab at the mpv as it needs to be smartended up and needs the extra protection.

Trying to keep this short, i want to deal with all the minor rust thats appearing. The final goal though is to wrap the vehicle for business use. So before I burn cash wrapping bad pannels i wanted to get them keen and protected from future probs.

A mazda mpv 2003 from the factory would be sprayed with water based colour paint, but a thinner based top coat, is that correct?
Is there any chance I could key the affected areas, spray using a solvent based 2k paint a holding coat, build it up and then flat it. Give it a month or so, then it could be wrapped.
Alternatively i was thinking to just sand all affected areas to remove scratches, chips or loose paint and then just wrap it.
Does that sound dodge??

Has anyone wrapped a car? Any tips?

Last request. Im looking for mechanics who know mazdas well. LONDON based is poss. Any contacts or leads??

Cheers fellas

The sanding down and wrapping option is really bodgy. You are just asking for rust to start forming behind the wrap, the metal needs to be properly painted and the paint must have fully dried. Thin coats baked on will be stronger than a thicker single coat.

Wrapping is quite fiddly, i'd prefer to let an expert do this for me rather than waste loads of my time and materials and end up with a sub standard job.

Cheers Waynne.

If I were to spray coats of paint, i would go for multiple coats. Do you think i could get away with thinners based 2k paint? Or will I have to find the local body shop to get the panels right back to bare steel and start with the water based colour then finish with a solvent clear coat?

Thanks

How bad is the rust? A good coating of rust inhibitor on bare metal should work wonders if it's only surface rust.

If you are touching up then use the water based colour and clear coat, if you are spraying the whole vehicle you would probably get away with 2k paint as you are wrapping it.

the rust, is minimal on the rear arches, it looks like its coming from behind. So i dont need it spreading further before i wrap it.

Re: touch ups. It looks like areas to sand back to remove deep scratches and chips and then just layer some paint on for protect.
TBH im not concerned with the final apperance cus I dont see it been sold. Its gonna be driven to death!

CHEERS Waynne