Would you help a broken down motorist?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How many good samaritans do we have here? Would you help a motorist who had broken down? What about if they were struggling with something you could do, like change a wheel?

I think there is definately a need to be cautious here but I'd like to think that there are some out there who would be kind enough to help out a fellow motorist?

(Would you help if the car was say a new BMW or Merc? What about a classic VW Beetle?)

mmmm possible it depends on how they were looking

if its someone in a suit and , like you say, in a brand new car then ad proberley point and laugh at them on the way past

but if it was an older car with someone who looks completely lost then id prob stop and ask if theres anything i can do.

incidentally i have jumped started 2 cars for folk while been parked up

I'll always offer help to anyone if they seem in need of assistance, whether or not car related. And usually the offer is declined but with a kind word of thanks for the offer.

Sometimes, though, you get a gob full of abuse for offering assistance.

Which, I find to be bloody rude. So I'm considering adopting the **** you I'm all right Jack attitude. If the younger generation (ie ME at 38) is considered to be devoid of manners then I'll disabuse myself of manners and treat everyone with similar contempt to match those with which I 've been approached.

I once offered a woman some assistance and she was quite affronted by it. I'm a woman I can cope with this attitute (when she clearly couldn't). I must say I was a little suprised but I supposed she was having a bad day. It hasn't put me off in future though :)

I've never actually stopped for anyone (yet?). But if I got abuse for it I'd give abuse back...probably about how my car is fine and theirs is pulled up at the side of the road with hazzard lights flashing and some kind of fault!

HDi...not the entire younger generation would be rude to your assistance. If I was stuck at the side of the road..I'd be very grateful to anyone that tried to help!

I once offered a woman some assistance and she was quite affronted by it. I'm a woman I can cope with this attitute (when she clearly couldn't). I must say I was a little suprised but I supposed she was having a bad day. It hasn't put me off in future though :)

I hate these bloody feminist "Jo Brand" type of women. They think just because you offer them help that you think they are useless. This is not the case at all, what happened to people just being helpful without being accused more or less of being sexist?????????

Can't do right for doing wrong.

I stopped for an elderly couple once but I wasn't able to help - their handbrake had jammed on at a T-junction, leving them stranded in position to turn right. The vehicle was completely immobile, all I could do was call them a recovery agent.

I've always wondered what I'd do if I came across a broken down VW Camper van full of surfer girls but having read this post now I don't think I'll bother. :)

Can't do right for doing wrong.

I stopped for an elderly couple once but I wasn't able to help - their handbrake had jammed on at a T-junction, leving them stranded in position to turn right. The vehicle was completely immobile, all I could do was call them a recovery agent.

I've always wondered what I'd do if I came across a broken down VW Camper van full of surfer girls but having read this post now I don't think I'll bother. :)

Its worth the risk of having your eyes scratched out.

Unless you land the one that resembles a blimp. In which case leave the motor running and the door open.

:twisted:

I hate these bloody feminist "Jo Brand" type of women. They think just because you offer them help that you think they are useless. This is not the case at all, what happened to people just being helpful without being accused more or less of being sexist?????????

Those types of women should just stay in the kitchen! :lol:

if it was a good lookin bird then yeah for sure i would help out but if it was some posh person in a bwm or somethin like that then i would have to beep at them and point and laugh

I don't think Jo Brand is an especially feminist character. Consider that her stand up stage act is just that, an act.

I do agree though, that you're more likely to get short shrift from a female driver who's got into difficulty than perhaps with a male driver.

And it's a shame that one person's (carefully chosen word) offer of assistance is taken as an insult by another.

I'll stop and help almost anyone who looks like they could use some help. I always remain cautious though.

I even stopped and helped a group of boy racers push their Clio out of a ditch a few nights ago. Partly because I know they'll have to tell their mates that someone in a Skoda stopped and helped them :p