Would you ever drive an electric car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Assuming that legislation tightens up on emissions would you gladly move over to an electic powered car? How do you feel about Hybrids?

if it was all electric i wouldnt want to have one due to the limited miles they can do before conking out, hybrids on the other hand anr a possibility though, iv driven the toyota prius and they do pull fairly well, the gear box is really weired on them though, its all pullys in their so you floor it and the revs go to about 3,000 and stay their all the way from about 20 to about 100 :shock:

What about something like this?

torquegraph_v2.gif

fullfromabove.jpg

Acceleration 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds
Top Speed Over 130 mph
Range 250 miles EPA highway
Battery Life Useful battery life in excess of 100,000 miles

Bet you didn't think something like this was possible yet?

no i didnt think somethin like that was possible :lol: tempting, very tempting but im still not convinced though

I love the sound of my car and I just don't think the sound of scalectrics does it for me.

I'd have one for the lazy trips to the shop etc but thats about it.

But I figure if enough ppl buy them I won't need to worry about my carbon foot print cause everyone will have sorted it for me :p

the guy behind the tesla is apparantly going to make a 30k saloon with the same super-efficient Li ion battery setup, apparently they give equal to 100+mpg

Wow - bring it on. All that economy and Torque - I bet HDI fun will still hang on to his diesels though :lol:

I hope your not referring to the ZAP XEBRA with 40 mph top speed and 25 mile range! 8)

Vey funny - yep, probably would for now, but I think the hybrid technology gives a similar driving feel at mid revs with stacks of torque, just like a decent turbo diesel. The benefit with a petrol hybrid is that you can rev it to a high red line which is impossible with any diesel. So there, I'm not quite as dyed in the wool as you think. Nice try -cheers,

P.

There is hope - let's face it - I used to HATE diesels with avengance. They were horrid things with pitiful performance and so bloody noisy. hence my affair with mutil valve Japanese petrols between two and three litres in swept volume.

As for torque, it depends how your mindset works. My Dad thinks my car is lacking torque because it will not allow you to do 12 mph in fifth gear. Of course it won't! Given that 3000 rpm is worth well over 95 mph then simple arithmetic explains that. Long legged gears

MY idea of torque is the force that flings the car foward when you apply your right toe to the pedal. And no car will pull from 350rpm. Bung mine in third at 35mph and floor it - that's torque.

And good petrol motors can do it better to some degree. But you do need three litres plus to get that effortless pull. Hybrids get around this - DC motors give max torque at 0 rpm.

Just think what that does for the standing start acceleration

Bye4now

P.

i'd drive an electric car, even if it looked like a mousse, All the more scope for modifying i say
with the equivelent of 550bhp;
cant realy argue with that, or the 10minute charge time equivelent to 350 Range.

although i dread to think what my 1000w + sound system will do to performance/Range.

As to the sound of electric motors whirring, i think when people start to appreciate the power associated with it, then they will subconsciously start liking it.
i already like the sound of my hammer action drill spinning in the air. [sad git] :lol:

just think about a Subaru Imprezza; [cant Remember if the spelling is right].
engine sounds like somethings not right.
But now i know its boxer engine is a beast, i can single out that noise from half mile away and get a subconscious grin on my face.

but it still doesnt beat the induction roar of a sweet VR6.
for that sound would happily pour my wallet ito the tank.

You can get an electronic dump valve effect so perhaps they should do an electric induction roar for people with quiet electric cars.

I think that in the next 30 years we will all be driving electric cars. either that or we will discover a new fuel source.

I don't know why we don't do more nuclear power plants.

No, nor do I. And neither does most of the rest of the population.

It seems there's no energy policy at all in the UK. We don't like coal, dont like nuclear; wind power upsets people who live in windy places where wind farms are installed, wave power seems to have gone (with the wind, so to speak).

Nuclear is extremely safe, particularly AGRs over the eariler PWRs