Would you drive if tired?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you still drive a car if you were really tired?

Many accidents are caused by sleepy or drowsy drivers and it's becoming a larger cause of accidents than drink or drugs.

So if you didn't get much sleep would it stop you driving the following day? How do you decide if you are awake enough to drive?

Should sleepy drivers be punished and tested in a similar way to drink/drug drivers?

I can usually tell if I'm a bit dappy after a lack of sleep and I'll get the other half to do the driving.
A few times I've actually stopped the car and had a 30 minute sleep (in a safe place) - this usually happens when I'm doing a long journey and have been stuck in traffic and am on the road much longer than planned.

Most "experts" recommend a break after 2 hours of driving. How long do you guys tend to go in one shift before having a break?

A few times I've actually stopped the car and had a 30 minute sleep (in a safe place)
Been there, done that one. Always better to be late arriving than just late.

Most "experts" recommend a break after 2 hours of driving. How long do you guys tend to go in one shift before having a break?
I tend to go 2-3 hours. Depends on the journey. If I was sat on the M4 stationary for 2 hours (that happened once, bloody annoying, there was no accident it was just weight of traffic) I could probably keep going for a while.

No I'd take a power nap or get someone else to drive. After a 20 hour shift I drove home really tired and feel asleep on the way home. Thankfully I ended up in a field unscathed and was able to drive away, but that brief lapse of concentration has made me paranoid.