Would you drive a Prius

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If someone offered you a Prius to drive would you?

Do you see the Prius as the Antipathy of what a car should be or do you view it as the start of a brave new world?

I'd happily drive it - in fact I have driven one. They're very pleasant in a totally inoffensive way. If you ask me if I'd buy one then the answer is no.

Not at the moment , but if you are without a car as I have been due to financial circumstances many moons ago then I would say yes.As walking 28 miles to work and back does take its toll and you don't really care what sort of car it is to be honest, but until you are in this situation you don't really know, but I would imagine you wouldn't hesitate....

No,you get better economy with a small petrol or decent diesel. at the speed that i drive around the country, id only be on the petrol motor, so my economy would be poor, i guess that i can see the attraction if you live in a city though. but id still rather have a re-mapped oil - burner.

i wonder if its true that making a prius produces more carbon than running a V8 range rover for 150k.

I suspect that the economy is not likely to stack up as well as Toyota would have us believe.

As for the environmental impact (and let's choose to accept all the bold government scare campaigns for this purpose) what about the entire battery array that has to be replaced every 100,000 miles?

Good point HDI, i guess toyota could try and introduce some kind of recycling scheme, but batteries? maybe the metal and plastic parts, but the chemicals will have to go somewere, and come from somewere too, the chemical industry is pretty poor when it comes to their enviromental image.

even with chargable electric cars ( such as renault are claiming to be developing ), guess where the powers coming from - oil fired power stations, and since the power gets lost in the process of generation, you'd need to burn more oil than if you'd just put it in the car in the first place.

all just a bit barmy really :blink:

Last edited:
Not totally correct. Power stations can burn gas and other fossil fuels to generate electricity more efficiently than you could generate electricity at home, despite the losses in transmission. But whether it's more efficient than putting fossil fuel into your car is questionable.

I think that nuclear is the only feasible alternative at the moment (power station, not under the bonnet :) ) for electricity, provided we can iron out the political disputes that surround this. There is without doubt some controversy but it is for the most part a clean source. The by-products are very dangerous but are created in sufficiently small quantities that long term storage is not a problem. Yet...........

That'd hurt though.

Why not something soft...

...like a bog?

Clean your boots and that's it.

I just wouldn't because I see what the car represents. Simply shuffling around the carbon footprint marks to give a thin facade of eco-friendliness. The damage is done in the production process before it's even done it's first mile.

I'm not an eco-mentalist and I don't care how much CO2 is coming out of my exhaust but it annoys me when companies like Honda throw together a hybrid and call it progress.

Forget the Prius, its all old tech despite Toyota trying to improve it.

The Honda Clarity is the future for cars. Look it up. Even Clarkson has has admitted it. :p