Would you buy an auction car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you ever consider buying a car from an auction?

Perhaps you have done this, if so how did you fare? Do you get good cars through auctions or is it just cars with faults or odd ball cars that are in low demand?

I've considered it - there's an auction house not far from me in Poole and another in Southampton (probably more, but those I know about).
However when I last went looking for a car I was looking for a very specific vehicle (JDM STI Impreza, like the one I found) and no auctions near by had any.

Auctions are "sold as seen" so it is a good idea to make sure you know what you are looking at or take someone who does.
This site has useful info and shows that particular auction house does have in-house engineers who produce a report (most should do this) and this should help.

After all my research I never even got to attend an auction :( I imagine it can be quite thrilling :)

The garage that look after the Beast buy cars from the auction all the time. Most of them need nothing at all doing to them and get sold on quite quickly, definitely some bargains to be had.

Yo,
I happen to work at shoreham vehicle auctions.
I have only been there for 3 months but it is a great place to be. Not good money at all but it's an easy job to do.
Most cheaper cars are part exchanges from local dealers with a few private entries. It is pot luck what may or may not be wrong with them.
We also have a contract with motorbility and these cars are normally 3 years old or newer. They are more expensive but cheaper than the private or trade market. The most frequent problem with these are scratches, dents or just pure filthy inside. Some however are immaculate.
A few local dealers and even some of the bigger car supermarkets (no names) buy 10-20 per sale.
One of the worst things i find having to move these cars around our place is some of them absolutely honk. Fish, sick, cheese smells are evident in maybe 1 in 20 cars. It really gives you an insight into how these people live.
Over all though, i see major benefit from buying an auction car due to the low cost. While 'sold as seen' is correct, all major and some minor faults are disclosed and if a problem exists that is not advertised, refund or discount is available.|B