would a 406 sri turbo engine fit in a 206?

206sam

Wrench Pro
Car
pug 206 1.1
I was wondering if a 406 sri turbo engine wouldd go into my 1.1 206. I only ask as it seems to be the only petrol turbo engine I can find 4 peugeots. could anyone help me or at least advise on any other turbo engines I could fit, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: wud a 406 sri turbo engine fit in a 206

A diesel 2.2 HDi will give you better performance than the SRi petrol turbo engine. Whether it will fit is another matter.

The 2.2 diesel will remap to around 190bhp with ridiculous torque levels.

Both the 2.2 HDi and 2.0 petrol units are very hard to find which is likely to be the limiting factor here.

I can find the engine easy enough, just dont want a diesel I love the sound from petrols, I really want a turbo on it though. lol

should be able to fit although if its not been done before you may need to get alot of the mounts custom fabricated

bay is bigger but its still a 2ltr engine. like i say you may need to custom make mounts etc ie might have to move the engine back to allow room for the turbo or move the turbo altogeather.
its not going to be as easy a swap as dropping the 1.1 and having the other engine in that day

not sure. the 206gti would be easier to go in but the sri or mi16 would be better to tune. depends on if you are willing to take it off the road while you do the conversion

yeah it will be off road pal and I want the engine to be as fast as possible cheers.

i can find the engine easy enuf, just dont want a diesel i love the sound from petrols, i really want a turbo on it tho lol

Why not diesel? The DW12TED4 is very refined and smooth. With a well constructed ECU remap the turbo runs at higher boost all the time and yields a very pleasing scream - not too dissimilar to that of a Paxman Valenta V12 - under firm acceleration.

What's the probem with diesel? It truly is the best route to muscular performance with limited engine bay space.

its not so much as a problem with diesel but i'm a petrol lover. a petrol car is the best to have and i just don't see myself havin a diesel pal

I was the original diesel hater. They were slow and noisy. And I avoided them at all costs. So, I, too, loved petrol engines.

But times have changed. The only concern I have with diesel engines at the moment is that the servicing is a bit more frequent and a little pricier than some petrol models.

A 2.2 HDi (especially with an ECU remap) would make your 106 a seriously quick car. A 3.0 V6 24 valve petrol unit would not keep pace with it.

I was the original diesel hater. They were slow and noisy. And I avoided them at all costs. So, I, too, loved petrol engines.

But times have changed. The only concern I have with diesel engines at the moment is that the servicing is a bit more frequent and a little pricier than some petrol models.

A 2.2 HDi (especially with an ECU remap) would make your 106 a seriously quick car. A 3.0 V6 24 valve petrol unit would not keep pace with it.

The amount of work that would need to be done to just convert from petrol to diesel is immense.
And I love it how you always compare a TD to a NASP petrol.
CC for CC petrol will kill a diesel in the performance stakes.

Me and Petar (205GOD) knew someone that dropped a 2.0 8v SRi turbo engine into a 205. Quite a smart conversion but still couldn't keep up with Petars 205 Mi16 lol. The Mi's aren't that hard to find and would be alot less hastle and are actually more bhp than the turbo engine. IIRC the 2.0 8v Turbo engine is 150bhp, the 2.0 16v N/A Mi16 engine is 160bhp with no turbo to wait for to kick in.

Last edited:

The amount of work that would need to be done to just convert from petrol to diesel is immense.
And I love it how you always compare a TD to a NASP petrol.
CC for CC petrol will kill a diesel in the performance stakes.

Haven't had this one for a while. Hello TN, how are you?

The petrol engine we're discussing here is turbocharged. So, just for once, I've caught you out so yah boo sucks :)

I do agree that converting to diesel is a hell of a task. I'm also good at overlooking that one because it's not me charged with the task of completing the conversion. It's something I wouldn't consider personally.

The SRi turbo wasn't a great model to be honest. The 2.2 HDi is quicker. If it must be petrol the the V6 24 valve is nice.

I will, however, continue to compare NASP petrol with turbo diesel if the purchase costs are comparable.

Bye4now

Rgds,

P.

Last edited:

Haven't had this one for a while. Hello TN, how are you?

The petrol engine we're discussing here is turbocharged. So, just for once, I've caught you out so yah boo sucks :)

I'm affraid you haven't caught me out as the engines you was comparing was the 2.2 Hdi and the 3.0 V6 IIRC.;)
And it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to use a Petrol Turbo Unit.
So in theory if there was a 2.2 petrol turbo available it would be cheaper and easier to install and it Would kill the diesel variant with the same mods.;)

Glad you're well. We're OK here, dealing with quite a lot of stuff (we must exchange Emails or PMs again soon - it's been a while) but muddling through remarkably well given the prevailing circumstances.

I'll stick to my guns on the 2.0 SRi motor, which was not Peugeot's best effort in my opinion - I wouldn't chase one with fervour to be honest. This is the one that matey is considering - I doubt that a V6 will go into a 206 very easily but, necessity being the mother of all invention, I'm sure it could be achieved. Turbocharge that and you would have a beast on your hands!!

The problem with your suggestion (ie. a 2.2 petrol turbo 4) is exactly as you say - there isn't one available.

I've yet to replace the 406 - one car is enough at the moment in this family. At this point we can only afford to run one! And it's an old fashioned type of 1.9 litre diesel. Know what? I HATE IT! It's not even especially economical.

ok so i'm better off going with the mi16 engine then instead of the 2litre sri turbo. and i would agree with turbo nutter that a petrol car would eat a diesel model of the same kind.

Agree ^^ Only because i've owned a couple of these exact variants we are discussing. One I do remeber is when I had my Frontera at the same time as my Vectra GSi. Both 2.5 V6's but the Veccy was petrol running 220bhp N/A and the Frontera which was a Turbo diesel and had a bigger turbo on it but still only just hit 180bhp.

There are 2 variants of the 406 Coupe to consider but I would imagine that like the Vauxhall 2.5 and 3.0 there is no physical size difference externally so if this is the case witht e Pugs aswell, definatly go for the bigger 3.0ltr. Unfortunatly it's only running 196bhp standard but it's a good start. But going for the lighter 2.0 16v Mi engine, will most likely give you a slightly better power to weight ratio.

Ive seen one in the 206cc so it is possible. The 2.2 petrol is a monster and you can do a lot to these.

What's the probem with diesel? It truly is the best route to muscular performance with limited engine bay space.

WTH!? Now you're being silly :p I think diesels have their place just as much as the next person but you just can't compare a diesel 2ltr turbo to a petrol 2ltr turbo.

I think you can now. The differences are mainly down to how you like to drive. Change up at 7000rpm and hit the torque band at 5000rpm or change up at 4000rpm and hit it at 1900rpm. The overall performance is little different.

You can buy and run a very good second user automatic 530d, remap it and have an effortless 250+ bhp and 400lbft of torque all delivered by a silky in line 24 valve 6 cylinder engine.

The only downside with diesel is that the running costs can be a bit steep. I'm wary of the essential dual mass flywheels which so often are no designed to stand up to the ridiculous torque.

It is largely personal preference now. And that's from me, the original diesel hater.

Last edited:
The SRi is a 2.0 litre 8 valve turbo and never really set the car off. By the time it started getting underway you had to change up.

Last edited:
depending on age your looking at ether 90 or 100bhp so a increase on what youve got anyway. have you looked at the suspension remember that the 1.6 lump will weigh more, and brakes

It's a lot of work to undertake simply to fit a basic 1.8 litre petrol engine into a car.

If you;re going to spend a load of money fitting a different engine then at least fit something that really dishes out the torque and power in a big way.

It's a lot of work to undertake simply to fit a basic 1.8 litre petrol engine into a car.

If you;re going to spend a load of money fitting a different engine then at least fit something that really dishes out the torque and power in a big way.

Saxo Vtr's are 1.6's buddy.
206Sam you can fit a turbo to any car depending on your budget. If you want a turbocharged car then buy one that is turbo from the factory otherwise your looking at spending a small fortune to Turbo a NASP engine.;)