Wonderwheels alloy wheel cleaner

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've heard bad things about wonder wheels stripping of the lacquer on alloy wheels. I must admit every wheel i've used it on has started to bubble and corrode but I had put this down to age and wear and tear rather than this product.

It does a great job at shifting brake dust but is it too harsh? Has anyone else got any experience of this?

@ waynne

Starting this thread by you may have come at a very opportune moment for me, especially I had planned to get new treads for my buggy today, but was wondering how to restore the alloys, since they are not exactly new.

Should I strip them of all the muck and laquer, and after applying the primer spray the paint over them, thus effectively stripping them of the powder coating?

Also My car is pearl-white, tending towards a flattish golden(metalic)

So I had thought that a dull black all over, with just a hint of golden around the central hub, and a thin red pin-stripe around the very edge would look nice, because it would high-light the understatement.

I do not plan to change the colour of the car, mebbe only add some racing stripes, when I do the minor body-work on the little nicks in the body-work.

Also should I take of the rubber to do the paint-job, or just mask it and spray?

What would be better?

All input is appreciated

Also how do I add a pics here, so I could show my wheels for a better perspective on things?...........

Many thanks.

Last edited:
To post a pic just used the advanced reply and click the paperclip icon (attachements), it helps if you have shrunk the image file size as big images do not always upload. JPEG 800x600 is a good resolution and under 100k in size is best but you can upload bigger files than this if you have to.

I used citric acid on my wheels and a lot of elbow grease and they came up well. You can't beat a complete strip down and respray though but the surface must be clean and thorougly degreased before applying the paint and the paint will be much harder if you do it in several light mist coats rather than one thick coat.

To post a pic just used the advanced reply and click the paperclip icon (attachements), it helps if you have shrunk the image file size as big images do not always upload. JPEG 800x600 is a good resolution and under 100k in size is best but you can upload bigger files than this if you have to.

I used citric acid on my wheels and a lot of elbow grease and they came up well. You can't beat a complete strip down and respray though but the surface must be clean and thorougly degreased before applying the paint and the paint will be much harder if you do it in several light mist coats rather than one thick coat.

Much obliged!

Uploading right after this.

So these are the rims I have, and m hoping to get some advice on the treatment I should subject them to, other than the normal cleaning.

I had said that I was thinking on the lines of matt black with he hubs in a slight golden brush, and a thin pin stripe near the edge.

Lemme know your opinion about my choices, if you please....................?

Many Thanks.

Also I just happend to come across some pics of my farm work-horse and thought to put them on here, mre as a practice than anything else.

Its a '52 Willys with an engine that is a diesel 2.7-litre four-cylinder straight from the Fortuner, bhp 158 and torque of 241 Nm

Hope this comes out ok! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
ScreenShot023 (2).jpg

ScreenShot025 (2).jpg

ScreenShot023.jpg

ScreenShot025.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenShot026.jpg
    ScreenShot026.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The farm workhorse looks good! I think matt black with a red stripe would look great. It's hard to get gold paint that actually looks gold when it dries.

wheeled wonder is a good idea to remove the dirt bike, but never to shine again .. I think it's too hard

A friend painted wonder wheels onto his alloys and had to go out in a hurry, He was out some time and when he returned his former good wheels were scrap

I've used wonder wheels cleaner on my wheels before and its good as long as you only use it on the baked on stuff and you wash it off imediately.

To be fair I haven't found an alloy wheel cleaner that's as good as this to get the really baked in brake dust off, so really you just need to hose them down every week or so to keep them looking new.

I just use AutoGlym shampoo on mine, re-polish the dishes and then use Poorboy's wheel sealant. I don't do it very often either (maybe once or twice a month).

I must be doing something right...
E36_081.jpg

i found wonder wheels on the Subaru pretty ineffective at doing anything. The brake dust is somewhat baked on and it seems that they suffer from this but liberal applications of wonder wheels didnt really do very much (this maybe down to incompetence or just the stuff i was using is probably about 10yrs old!)