Winter Tyres

I am seriously considering winter tyres this year. My car is useless in loose snow. Not so much worried about getting round a bend or corner. It doesn't matter cos I won't even get out of the driveway lol

Same but like I said I am concerned that for the money you pay they add little if any grip improvement a bit like the economy of a forced air induction kit where you lose BHP

I have driven a Passat fitted with winter tyres many years ago. OK - it's a FWD car so it's inherently more capable in poor conditions but to my mind the difference was light night and day.

The other thing to do with your car (as I do with mine) is to load a hundred kg or so of bagged sand into the boot. This does aid traction enormously. Even with the full blown DSC mine can be a handful trying to get moving uphill.

The downside of adding weight at the back is that there's more mass swinging about so if it does go sideways you're gonna have an even harder job of controlling it. Horizontal pendulum effect.

I am seriously considering doing the M+S tyre thing this year - Vredestein Wintrac comes to mind. It certainly cannot do any harm and has to be better than summer tyres.

It makes a massive difference. I read a report recently where a 2wd car with winter tyres out performed a 4x4 with standard tyres in terms of traction and braking.

If we are in for a long winter I may be tempted as well

Winter tyres sell out really quickly so NOW is the best time to order them and get them fitted. Bear in mind they will wear really quickly in summer so you'll need to get them switched back.

I change the 888s for goodyear f1s each winter on the stahea but since the car has adjustable AWD and a snow mode it is be driveable on most rubber even in serious snow.

And if you keep the car for any lenght of time winter tyres dont cost you much if anything because with two sets of tyres each lasts twice as long .

I've ordered Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme through SelectaTyre in Rugby. £500 all in and they're going to store my Michelin Primacys over winter for me. Strangely the temperature has gone up today. . . .

Vredestein's fitted today. Have done about 120 miles on them and I am surprised how quiet they are.

Cannot comment yet upon snow/ice, I am awaiting the arrival of some so I can do so.