Winter Tyres

I will be fitting some non summer wheels and tyres -

the refurbed ultralites and 888s will be off and swopped for a set of goodyear F1s on some nice but not mint wheels.

Not strictly winter wheels and tyres but all things are relative

F1 GSD3's are amazing in the wet...

I agre with you - really good on the wet!
But, have you tryed some UHP tyre with directional pattern on snow? Once I tryed on Yokohama A520....never again!
Yoko A520 was best somer tyre I ever drived on, but on snow it is useless, and I mean useless! Right now got GSD3's as sommer tyre, and i don't even think about to wait for snow on them altough I never tryed them on snow just because my experience with Yoko A520 wich I think are similar in some ways.

Me neither had stucked in meaning i could not move. But when you are on road or street where almost everybody else got winter tyres you are in situation when you become obstacle to the others. You can not drive like they do, but trafic force you to move faster then your tyres can.

got the discovery 3 for the snow..... we still use the OEM tyres instead of cheaper alternatives and they work well, Goodyear Wranglers 255/55R19

I had directional Bridgestone Potenza RE-720s on the Peugoet and they were very good in snow. Better than assymetic designs in my estimation. Still no substitute for proper winter tyres though.

MIght be the case, I have assymetric tyres on the 306 and they work well, I've no idea what the benefits of either are to be fair, I just buys whats good and that's good enoguh for me, I'm not really bothered what the tread pattern looks like as long as it gets the job done.

I did do some reading on the subject and yeah you're right but if you look at the cream of the road tyres they are all aysemetric, which to me says that they fair better in dry conditions because of there bigger tread blocks