Window tinting - legal in the UK?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
By daryl (217.137.229.36) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

they must let 75% of light through on all the windows, except the front one which is not allowed to be tinted

By David on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 08:09 am: Edit

I know you are not allowed much if any tint on front windows in the UK but what are the rules for the rest of the windows - especially the front Driver and Passenger doors.

I think one of the key points is that the tinting does not affect your vision of other road users.

75% percent of light through window is only a 25% tint!

45% tint seems a bit generous to me :shock: - is there a legal information site out there that can tell us for sure what we can get away with. I think the law is different for different age vehicles - in newer cars the drivers window is not allowed to be tinted.

If you want to have a heavy tinted window effect while driving - CLOSE YOUR EYES!! :lol:

You can have 75% tints on all windows (25% light coming through) on all windows except front, which you can have 35% tint (65% light coming through)

sorry people but your all wrong. my brother works as a window tinter and the law at the moment is you can have anything on the back window. you cannot have anything on the front and up to 15% tints (85% light in) on the front passenger or driver side. and 75% tints (15% light coming in) on the back two sides. and if anyone hears different then please say when you heard it and where from because with anything past these requirements your car will fail its MOT.

I notice the link posted to the VOSA site is not working now so perhaps things have been changed or amended. It's nice to have a heads up from an authoritative source but somehow I think the debate will rage on!

Link doesnt work!!

So many people saying different things. What is the law?? How much Light in % and how much tint allowed %.

hi i had my jag tinted on all the windows,have been stoped by the police in uk no probs,mot no probs but last year i went to germany they stoped me find me 100 euros held at the police station for 4 hours and i had to remove my front door films so i didnt get away with it regards i will tinted any way looks cool

I think that EU allows to tinted only back and two rear windows. Only if car was made in factory with all windows tinted is allowed by law. But, that windows don't have foil over windows, windows are made by material that is darker a bit than standard plexiglass.