Window open or aircon?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Summer is here (in Southern UK at least!) Which do you prefer?

To have the window open and dangle your arm or to use the aircon?

I'm more windows open upto 23c over this I let the aircon do its thing and set the climate control to 22c!

A/C is the way to stay comfortable winter and summer. I've owned cars with very effective air conditioning for well over ten years. There's no comparison to windows open.

It's like suggesting that you don't need a domestic freezer because you can open the kitchen window. (OK, my freezer is in the outhouse, but, same applies). And the outhouse has no windows

Anyone who thinks that open car windows are a substitute for a/c is missing the point totally.

The thing is that when you get out of a really aircon cooled car you will feel that the outside is MUCH hotter than it is. Getting out of a window open cooled car you will not feel that the ambient temperature is as opressive.

I guess it depends how far down you turn the dial.

i have the climate set to 21 most of the time. like a few on here i can get the speed up which makes the wind noise a little irritating with the windows open.

I've not experienced aircon yet, my Pug's the first car that's had it (see how many times I'll mention my new car this week), all the fun of summer is cruising round with the windows down and some tunes on though! Happy days

I would say I am a con supporter (21 degree all year round). But these days (fuel prices) i sue the sunroof and the windows slightly open to balance the pressure.

I also heard that using the aircon robs the car of BHPs. is it true? although opening the windows introduces drag and resistance equal to that of using aircon :D

the "myth busters" programmer could not find any difference. What do you think?

IF the weathers nice, then windows open apart from 60mph + speeds.

I sit in an office 9-5 all day. When I do get out of there, I want to be able to experiance "fresh"* air

* = Freshly polluted ****.

I drive with my windows up to make it look like i have a/c .

No only joking, if i'm going round 30 - 50 then windows down, motorway driving and speeds at 60+ a/c all the way.

That's determination for you. Pretending to have A/C and enduring 100 degree farenheit in the process. How about pretending you have automatic transmission and slip the clutch all the way from standstill to 85 in fourth>>??

What does the robin hood not have AC.;) Not buying one now might be 30 degrees outside i want cold air in my face :lol:

As long as you are moving you have plenty of cold air in your face, along with many other interesting objects. :)

Out on open road I prefer windows open, but often use A/C. as I have Heart & Lung problems & don't like it getting too hot!
Roll on the 3 ***, well I think thats what it says on our freezer LOL

Chris.. :blink1:

Last edited: