Will you be buying wet weather tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It looks like the UK is stuck with wet weather now, since someone invented global warming.

Will this affect your choice of tyre. What do you consider a wet weather tyre to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Normal' summer tyres are fine in the wet. Where things change in my opinion is when ice and snow starts to get involved.

Indeed, I have never had winter tyres so I really cannot comment as to if there would be a distinct advantage by having them fitted.

falkens for summer, winter tyres for winter

T9 man, i trialled winter tyres last year on my FWD V6 galant and the difference was huge. an icy road was like a dry road. i am buying standard shocks to raise my car so those tyres will fit under it for this winter because they were that good in comparison to summer tyres the year before although to be fair, i only really trialled on ice as the snow did not compare to the previous year

plus i have 4WD now which will help even more

Agreed, I've driven on winter tyres once or twice and in snow and ice - the difference is remarkable as stated above.

I don't buy into the under 7 degrees C thing the industry puts about. Given the plethora of different tyre constructions and compounds available I do not accept that they all exhibit exactly the same behaviour at exactly the same temperature.

Agreed, I've driven on winter tyres once or twice and in snow and ice - the difference is remarkable as stated above.

I don't buy into the under 7 degrees C thing the industry puts about. Given the plethora of different tyre constructions and compounds available I do not accept that they all exhibit exactly the same behaviour at exactly the same temperature.

isnt that more of a general advice rather than from tyre manufacturers? as with most things, there are so many variables that they can only come up with a rough number to guide the masses rather than go into each tyre and type of vehicle. i will be waiting for it to consistently hitting 6 or below on my way to work (night shift so its colder going home therefore my trip in will be the higher temperature of the 2 trips) before i fit the new wheels

of course i will need to buy them first:embarrest:

i run uniroyal rainsport 2 on my r5gtt, by far the best tyre iv ever used on a road car, miles better than toyos/yokos etc in the dry and certainly in the wet.

Sorry for the confrontational reply but you did post this

I assume that you have not actually driven your car with 888s on because if you had you wouldnt make the statement.

Theres no way any normal road tyres can grip like toyo 888s in the dry including the uniroyals . The tyre compound and amount of tyre on the road makes that a certainty
And any "rain tyre" will have a much harder compound and therefore have less grip in the dry once warmed up.

rainsports do one thing really well - stop aquaplaning and for that they are great but they dont corner in the wet like say goodyear F1s IMHO

of course you are right about being better in the real wet than 888s but most tyres are - 888s are a tyre for dry and damp roads so thats no surprise.

BTW thats not only my experience but that of many tyre tests which I have read as to me tyres are really important.

And I am in complete agreement with having two sets of tyres , with me its wheels and tyres as thats easier but its the same principle.
So 888s and F1s for me on the stagea

Last edited:
Sorry for the confrontational reply but you did post this

I assume that you have not actually driven your car with 888s on because if you had you wouldnt make the statement.

Theres no way any normal road tyres can grip like toyo 888s in the dry including the uniroyals . The tyre compound and amount of tyre on the road makes that a certainty
And any "rain tyre" will have a much harder compound and therefore have less grip in the dry once warmed up.

rainsports do one thing really well - stop aquaplaning and for that they are great but they dont corner in the wet like say goodyear F1s IMHO

of course you are right about being better in the real wet than 888s but most tyres are - 888s are a tyre for dry and damp roads so thats no surprise.

BTW thats not only my experience but that of many tyre tests which I have read as to me tyres are really important.

And I am in complete agreement with having two sets of tyres , with me its wheels and tyres as thats easier but its the same principle.
So 888s and F1s for me on the stagea

sorry for not making myself more clearer but i didnt think id have to state that im only on about road tyres and not comparing them with semi slicks etc as that is just a tad silly to do so.

im considering trying the f1s on my car when the time comes to replace my current set of rainsport 2

Hello,my name is Tony,I need help with Drift track dimensions,real cars, I want to open up a drift track and I need all the info I can get,length,width,any info,So please can you help
Reagrds

Hi Tony and welcome to Torque Cars. I think this post would be better in a different thread - going to have a look and find a suitable place for you.

sorry for not making myself more clearer but i didnt think id have to state that im only on about road tyres and not comparing them with semi slicks etc as that is just a tad silly to do so.

im considering trying the f1s on my car when the time comes to replace my current set of rainsport 2

Fair enough but 888s are road legal tyres with tread.