Will toe out always improve cornering

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
Lots of people are talking about toe in and toe out.

To my understanding it alters the horizontal angle of the wheels, with the front edge either pointing in our out.

Does toe out always improve a cars cornering, is this a blanket tuning rule or does it depend on the car?

Do RWD AWD and FWD cars behave differently with toe out settings?

Toe is when you view the wheels looking down so toe out will wear the inner edge of the tyre and toe in is like a pidgeon toed person and will wear the outer edge of the tyre.

I would recommend that you speak with a suspension expert as to all your suspension settings as they will vary depending on your particular model and exactly what you want to do with it and how you want it to respond to steering inputs and under brakes.
For instance toe can affect turn in but make the car a bit twitchy under heavy braking.

In general all suspension settings are a compromise.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

Last edited:
In general all suspension settings are a compromise.

Nicely put. There is no perfect setup for a road car. Racing cars will have a different setup for each individual track they go to and still it will be the best compromise to get around the track quickest so a road car has to have a much larger window of operation to work in to stay safe primarily I would think.

Toe out is normally for front wheel drive cars, while toe out is for non driven front axles (like on a rear wheel drive).

The reason for that is that the flexibility of the suspension elements 'corrects' the geometry when driving. Of course, less flexibility is better (hence the polyethylene bushings).