Will this fail an MOT

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I thought we should have a thread about MOT failure questions.

First question
Q) Will having a decat fail the emissions test?
A) Usually the cat is required to keep the emissions down so most cars will fail the emissions test, however there are some older cars that did not need cats and some modern cars with very efficient engines may still be able to pass emissions regs.

Last edited:
The decat one is interesting as mine has one fitted and passed with flying colours. However I will add that the manifolds themselves have pre-cats fitted and these do the job. Quite why they went for belt and braces is beyond me. Another thing to consider is whether the decat looks like a decat as I'm sure they could fail it if it appears to not have one fitted regardless of emissions? At least mine is a clone and has the lambda boss and sensor fitted. Some just knock the innards out of a standard cat.

Q. Will non functioning or incomplete front foglights fail an MOT?
A. No, they are not part of the test, only the rears and only the offside I do believe.

I know this because I use the nearside aperture as my cold air feed and have taped over the other one after it was MOTd.

over here stamford, they will fail if you have non-functional spots
if their on the car, they have to work

waynne, just because it has no cat, dosent mean it will automatically fail
origanal backbox have #!#!#!#! inside them that take emmissions out of the fumes, and if you still have the lamda sensor, it should be ok

most new cars whould pass with out a cat we had a vw bora in last week the co was at 11% it should be 0.200% he cut the cat off and the co went down to 0.100%
we cant fail it cos it does not have a cat ect only if it fails the emissions

and fogs fronts dont come into it only the offside (drivers side ) rear one comes into the test

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back