Will there be a Ferrari Diesel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How long do you think it will be before we see a Ferrari selling a diesel model?

Talks are underway about getting diesel into F1 so I think it will be a short step away to having a diesel Ferrari.

Will this be a REAL Ferrari or will the diesel take away some of the magic?

Ferrari will undoubtedly do one at some point simply to comply with 'across the model range' emissions laws. This is bloody silly:

1. How many Ferraris are on the road anyway?

2. How many Ferrari miles are driven each year?

Even if every Ferrari belched out 2kg of CO2 for every kilometre driven it would have absolutely no impact upon the environment at all because there's so few of 'em about.

I don't think that diesel has a place in a supercar, despite the fact that it would be every bit as rapid as a petrol powered one. The idea of driving a supercar and changing up at 3500-4000rpm just doesn't fit. Weight is also a problem. Diesel engines are heavy and this gives the weight saving boys even more work to do.

I sort of disagree on the sound thing. At idle, yes, they're not great fun if you're outside.

But I think the sound of a quad turbo V12 diesel under full load would be nice. Once the diesel noise is masked by the turbo's screams it would take on a unique character.

Ferrari will Not be producing a diesel anytime soon. They have Rejected Diesel for it's future cars and instead are looking to use smaller capacity, turbocharged engines and hybrid systems. Read about it the other day..... :D

From the sounds of things and from what i've read on various places, Ferrari wont be doing a F1 car let alone a diesel lol. Not sure if the rumours are true but if they are, F1 is gonna go down hill like Colin McRae in the WRC lmao.

If Ferrari does a diesel model it will only be to comply with the pointless emissions laws

Ferrari have stated that to keep within these laws they will reduce capacity and start using turbochargers. And also they are going to have a play around with Bio Fuel. They have totally rejected the diesel engine. I'll try find out where I read it an post link up here....:D

So is there anyone who would like Ferrari to produce a diesel? I'd quite like them to just to see what they could come up with. It would prob be the craziest diesel around....

It'll go just as well as a petrol model without doubt. Performance is not the issue. Weight would be but then if it's a mid engine jobbie it'll be fine.

Who cares about principles and the environmental effects of a car that is produced and sold in single figures throughout the year?

It'll go just as well as a petrol model without doubt. Performance is not the issue. Weight would be but then if it's a mid engine jobbie it'll be fine.

Who cares about principles and the environmental effects of a car that is produced and sold in single figures throughout the year?

I still think its ridiculous. With the amount of planes in the sky. They surely polute a hundred times more and they are already up there so the fumes don't get far to travel....

I'd like to see what they come up with....if audi can do it so can ferrari...mind you audi/vw have been doing diesel for year though so...I'm not sure.....
besides I would by the r8 v12 tdi
leman winning engine in a brilliant chassis like that.....I'll have some of that please....
All ferrari have to do is produce a diesel race car and win some races with it and then people would be going mad for it.....
a ferrari diesel sounds wrong but if you stamp motorsport onto it...then.......

mind you that will cost millions....but you never know....

i hope the true supercar manufacturers never ever ever never never ever make a diesel....it would be blasphemy

If Ferarri does market a diesel model then we can all be assured that it will be more than competitive with Ferrari's petrol cars.

The only reason Ferrari might market a diesel is to appeal to the 'across the model range' CO2 requirements that the EU is imposing upon car makers.

I ask you this: Who cares if a ferrari spits out 1kG of CO2 per driven mile?

There are so few of them on the road and they all generally only cover a few thousand miles per year.

So, even if the emissions happy bunch are right (separate debate) the emissions from a Ferrari are going to contribute precisely nothing to the detriment of the environment.

What a waste of effort.

If Ferarri does market a diesel model then we can all be assured that it will be more than competitive with Ferrari's petrol cars.

The only reason Ferrari might market a diesel is to appeal to the 'across the model range' CO2 requirements that the EU is imposing upon car makers.

I ask you this: Who cares if a ferrari spits out 1kG of CO2 per driven mile?

There are so few of them on the road and they all generally only cover a few thousand miles per year.

So, even if the emissions happy bunch are right (separate debate) the emissions from a Ferrari are going to contribute precisely nothing to the detriment of the environment.

What a waste of effort.

But they have declined the idea of building diesels. Instead for the laws sake the are going to produce smaller capacity engines with turbo's to meet with the laws in place... They blatantly refused to build a diesel. And rightly so. Even though diesels are good these day a true supercar is petrol and thats that. It just is. ;)

But they have declined the idea of building diesels. Instead for the laws sake the are going to produce smaller capacity engines with turbo's to meet with the laws in place... They blatantly refused to build a diesel. And rightly so. Even though diesels are good these day a true supercar is petrol and thats that. It just is. ;)

I agree, a supercar needs a petrol engine. What's the point of worrying about emissions on a car model where only fifty are sold each year.

if Ferrari ever does produce a diesel engine model you can be sure that it will more than keep up with their own petrol powered supercars.

Diesels are useless without forced induction, incidentally

I agree, a supercar needs a petrol engine. What's the point of worrying about emissions on a car model where only fifty are sold each year.

if Ferrari ever does produce a diesel engine model you can be sure that it will more than keep up with their own petrol powered supercars.

Diesels are useless without forced induction, incidentally

Agreed but if they did I think they would loose alot of custom.

No they would not. There's always more demand for Ferraris than can be made each year.

Yes but ferrari have always been a drivers car.. How many of those who buy Ferrari's worry about emmisions?? None. Thats my point why would they buy a Ferrari diesel when they can have an Audi or something. A diesel Ferrari will take away the driving sensation in my opinion and thats what I mean...

Sorry TN69 but that's my point. Who cares about the emissions from a car maker who sells 50 cars a year? All of which will cover macro mileages anyway.

When Ferrari does a diesel it will be an exemplary drive, holding true to the supercar idioligy.

Ferrari's cheapest option would be to take a Punto or Panda or something else from the Fiat stable with the 1.9 JTDm engine. Cosmetic makeover and stiff suspension. Stick a Ferarri badge on it and then go and taunt the eco-tossers in Brussels!

stop it wayne,thats cruel and unusual lol,just dosnt sound right!!! i have a maserati...its a diesel!!! just dosn t go lol

If you remember the open stainless steel gate that Ferrari models had during the 70s and 80s just imagine how in might look now, with a diesel engine.

You'd have to amputate the drivers left knee to accomodate the shift lever's width of travel.

Slightly more seriously, it may not need quite so many gears as a 5 litre diesel with a bank of turbos will probably be pulling from 400rpm anyway, which might help a bit.

But you'd have to change the rev counter numbers so you at least thought you were changing up a 8800rpm instead of the 3600-4000 that diesel would require.

One benefit of fitting a Ferrari with a diesel is that the engine's weight would not interfere with the balance and handling because it would be mounted amidships.

Well said. I'm a diesel head, but a derv Ferrari wouldnt be the same.

That's exactly my point. The question was thus:

"Will there ever be a diesel Ferrari?", NOT, as some are taking it: "What do you think of the idea of a diesel FErrari?"

So thankyou edk!

I think for that reason there won't be, because I can see Ferrari wanting to keep it's heritage, even though diesels are being made stonking quick these days! (Audi R8 diesel for example :D)

I think for that reason there won't be, because I can see Ferrari wanting to keep it's heritage, even though diesels are being made stonking quick these days! (Audi R8 diesel for example :D)

If there is one then it will be there simply to comply with across the model range CO2 emissions legislation.

But, who cares?

Even if global warming is a tangible issue (I think it isn't) then for the 50 or so Ferrari cars sold each year, each of which will cover little more than 1000 miles per annum then it's not really contributing much at all in terms of emissions.

Ferrari is owned by Fiat. If I was in charge of Ferrari I'd rebadge a JTD Stilo as a Ferrari, tweak the suspension so that it's very uncomfortable, remove the sound deadening panels so it sounds horrid and loud, ramp up the boost and fuelling electronically, over size the cooling system and then flog 'em as £25k Ferrari diesels.

Thus complying with the silly prescriptive laws.

Ferrari will be forced to do a diesel model, one way or another.